What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trouble!!!!

I have no clue as to what to do about this. I have a good sized collection of s. oreophila. Most first came to me with very little color. When Joe Mazrimas gave me a piece of one of his, it was all green. Well, Joe's clone was definitely all green in his greenhouse. I put it out with the rest of my new babies. Dustin Truesdell gave me a piece of his beautifully veined plant. Heavily veined, and very attractive! I call it the Catalani-Truesdell clone. A must have in my opinion!
The problem? Well, the first year, Joe's clone took on red veining. Not too much, but all green went away! Dustins clone colored up nicely, just like his pics of them. Even a couple of clones from Ron Lane took on a touch of color. A copper color on the lid. Clones 1 and 2 from Ron Lane were sent as lightly veined. Ok. Copper lid, light veins. At least the light veins was right. That was year one with these guys.
Year 2. The "problem" starts! First, Joes plant comes up, red veined to beat the band!. Lid reddish. What happened?? I had an all green here. Was it sick?
Catalani-Truesdell clone. Well, this is SCARY! (faint of heart should NOT read this!) The bottom of the tube turned purple. EEK! The purple veining in the tube bled into the surrounding tissue ever so slightly. Nice effect! In the throat, the heavy main vein in the throat of the plant changed! It grew!!! It now fills the throat, and has spread under the hood, not quite reaching the edges of it. A purple throat and underside of the hood? What happened to the veined only (heavily veined too) throat. Why did the purple spread, and become different looking from where it came from? Dustins greenhouse. What is this sickness??
Ron Lanes clones 1 & 2. Well, This year, they came up big and strong. The light veins turned red, and became moderate veining. The lids are a red copper color, and overall, is quite attractive. It is veined all over in red, and the upper tube has a very slight red flush. Sick! Sick! Sick!
LOL! OK. So they aren't sick. The only thing I can think of is how much sun they got. Where they are presently from must have had a different amount of sunlight and they responded to the amount of sun with as much color as they could muster. Joe's clone was grown in a shaded greenhouse. He is amazed at the change in his plant. I am too! Dustins clone can only be the result of the 13 1/2 hours of sunlight they get here. This clone is so beautiful, it hurts my eyes to lok at it. I am still trying to get Forbes or Noah, heck, ANYBODY who knows how to take pics and post them for me. Tough being computer illiterate! I have no idea how much light Ron's clone got, but these turned out to be quite the show stoppers, along with the other clones mentioned.
The real problem? How to share these plants with everybody!!!!!!!!

Once I get my digicam fixed I'll show you momma oreo!
smile_m_32.gif

Looking forward to it, Dustin!!!!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bugweed @ May 28 2006,8:48)]The real problem? How to share these plants with everybody!!!!!!!!
The obvious way to start is to send divisions of all of them to me immediately.

Forget that, Steve! Can't even get you to visit!!! Or bring your camera! How long will it take you to get here???

Im free all this week.. I'll be happy to bring my cam. PM me and let me know when is a good time for you.

i have a question...why cant oreos be shipped to certain areas? i would love to have one because of its cold tolerance and its beauty but whenever i find a vendor like the one who sells SARRACENIA in the NORTHWEST(wink wink) only ships it within Oregon
smile_h_32.gif
. id give anything for one... and id love a specimine of yours Buggy! you can call it S. Oreophila 'Bugweed'!
peace
alex

Because, that plant is protected. And can only be given away as a gift, EXCEPT for within the state. So with them being in that state, that's the only state they can sell them to. And why would they want to give them away to anyone outside the state? Yah, they prolly don't. lol
Andrew

Bug When they flower I would love some seed!! Since you say they are seedlings I know they are too small for a devision! They sound jaw dropping beautiful! I wonder if the Oreo I have that is a heavy veied will color up like that? I can't wait to see pictures.

Tada!

P5293654.sized.jpg

P5293652.sized.jpg

S. flava ornata? From Henning von Schmeling, Sumatra site
P5293655.sized.jpg

ta-da?? TA DA?????? Magnificence like that, and its only TA DA???????????? Ok. I can live with that! Beautiful as usual, Dustin!!!

Is that plant pure oreo? It looks very much like this plant, which might be oreo x flava going by the phyllodia:

pic

THe flower structure is synominous with oreophila

Alvin, since this plant was given by Mike Catalani, the oreo king, I'd say definitely! The plant was originally slated for reintroduction into Tennessee bogs, but the plan fell through. Because of Dustins help, Mike gave him the oreo designated for the intro project. I have grown this one for two years. Mine is even more colorful than Dustins only in the fact I get more light. I will post pics as soon as I can. And maybe, I will share all of my babies with you. Oreo babies that is.

I was getting worried there until the last sentence!

I didn't type my question very well there. The photo just made me think of the plant in this thread: oreo or flava?

OK, that's it. I can escape it no longer. I must come visit your plants. I'm free this weekend, Bugweed. Send me a PM and I'll come down and take more photos than can possibly be posted. Maybe even meet Steve there as I owe him a couple neps.

Capslock

Back