What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to repot a ceph cutting? (pics inside!)

Recently, my brother and a buddy of mine asked for a cutting of my ceph, so I yanked 2 leaves, and loosely stuck them into some moss. I didn't know what the heck I was doing. Weeks passed, no roots yet, but the leaves were still green/red. Couple more weeks, 2 roots were growing from the ends of the each of the leaves, yay. Now couple months later, the roots have dug themselves alll the way down, and they look so delicate! How would I get them out of the pots to give for their new homes without possibly breaking a root?

Oh ya, some pics to make your time worthwhile for reading my post!

resized for our dialup friends

Although cephalotus HATES root disturbances, moving them that young is fine actually as long as you do not break the roots. Try to take as much medium as you can together with the roots.

Good job with sprouting them! I have had success with planting leaf cuttings of Cephs, D. binata, D. filiformis, B. liniflora, and VFT's in a swampy, live LFS tray and keep uncovered by a window sill. Here's a pic of the concept:

AF001901.jpg

Back