What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I are stupid.........

Okay i put 2 Purple Pitcher plants,1 sundew, and 1 VFT into a platic bowl (i didnt measure it im just useing my sight) about a ft acros and 6 in. deep. I used half sand and half peat. Will they be ok in that mix? and i got them all from lowes just to let u know

PS  when i was putting the peat into it there was alot of ants in it will they cause any harm? i know that some use aphids and stuff but if they dont will they cause harm? and if theyre is aphids could u suggest something i could use?

Translate-o bot?

translation: "I moved several different CP in to a plastic bowl using a mix of half peat and half sand. Are there problems with this mix?

There were many of what appeared to be ants in the peat. Will they cause harm? Does their presence mean there are aphids?"

Assuming my translate-o bot got it right:

I wouldn't see the mix as a problem. Hopefully it's well mixed, some plants don't dig it when their media has pockets of sand and the like.
The ants probably wont survive. If you flush out the pot every now and then, you should prevent a colony from forming. If they start constuction on a plant, you can wash that away, too. It would probably be wise to look up a picture of aphids on the internet so that you know what they look like for future reference.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Est @ June 05 2006,8:43)]Translate-o bot?

translation:  "I moved several different CP in to a plastic bowl using a mix of half peat and half sand.  Are there problems with this mix?

There were many of what appeared to be ants in the peat.  Will they cause harm?  Does their presence mean there are aphids?"

Assuming my translate-o bot got it right:

I wouldn't see the mix as a problem.  Hopefully it's well mixed, some plants don't dig it when their media has pockets of sand and the like.
The ants probably wont survive.  If you flush out the pot every now and then, you should prevent a colony from forming.  If they start constuction on a plant, you can wash that away, too.  It would probably be wise to look up a picture of aphids on the internet so that you know what they look like for future reference.
thanks and yes u got it correct and i forgot to add:im not sure if i did but if some of the roots got cut and/or completely removed ,as long as there are a couple left, will they be fine? and im going go back and edit the OP
EDIT: should i put holes in it or will it be ok? (and its not really a bowl its really a recangle platc thing)

No leave the pot undrained, and put it in full sun. If you got the dew from lowes it is probably an adelea. I don;t know if they will survive the full sun like the sarrs and VFT will. Mine are in the GH, and the ones I tested out in full sun are dwarfed compaired to the others in the GH, but I havn't tested an adelea outdoors yet. I use straight peat mostly, but the sand is a good addition for most people. Bugweed fills his containers up every day so the peat stays saturated, and he lets it evaprate over the course of the day. Good luck. They should do fine.

OHHHHHH NOOOOOOOO! i just went out there and 2 of the pitchers are withered! ea of the plants have 2 open pitchers and one of both of them are withered and weak i thought it was heat or someting so i put the tub next to a big tree where it wont be so hot and everything

Why did your peat have ants in it?? And...what type of sundew is it? The VFT and purps should be ok together as they both take dormancy but you more than likely have a tropical sundew so it can't stay in there with the other two when fall/winter come.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (PlantAKiss @ June 06 2006,3:55)]Why did your peat have ants in it??  And...what type of sundew is it?  The VFT and purps should be ok together as they both take dormancy but you more than likely have a tropical sundew so it can't stay in there with the other two when fall/winter come.
IDK the ants are still alive though I guess theyre might of been a hole in a bag ,and I kept the bag outside.... IDK its leaves are flat and for somereason it wont make dew. If the others go into dormancy how come it cant stay with them?

*cries and moans while beating himself on top of head* now the other pitchers are withered.......i forgot to add that the plants were under grow lights and when i put them outthere forgot about the sun and everything.......could it of been the sand?shock?sun?

Back