What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wikipedia article

Hi All,

A small handful of us have been working on improving the cp related articles on Wikipedia. Recently, we decided to tackle the Sarracenia article, aided by Denis Barthel from Germany (he worked on the german Wikipedia and we both translated material back and forth). The article is pretty much completed, but I would appreciate feedback from all of you so that it can be improved further into a really top-notch article. Feel free to edit the article yourself (anyone can, but please use encyclopedic language and cite your sources) or leave comments on this thread or on the article's talk page and I will integrate.

Thank you for your help!
smile.gif

-noah

Just a little nitpick, you should probably make the floral formula actual text rather than an image.

Here's the code in case you need it:
<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">Ca<sup>5</sup> Co<sup>5</sup> A<sup>∞</sup> G<sup><u>(5)</u></sup>[/QUOTE]

The infinity symbol should really be inputted as "& infin;" with the space taken out after the & (when posted the forum displays it as the symbol of course).

Thank you! It's fixed now - I had written it as a math formula, but this text version is definately more space efficient.

-noah

Noah, those sarrs look familiar.

Wow Noah. That is awsome! Very thorough. And you mentioned NASC! Thank you.

The only thing I noticed is that you reference the ICPS without any explanation. Its not 'til lower down in the article that you explain what that is.

Excellent job!

Bugs - Yup! The first picture and the one of the labeled pitcher (Hummer's Autumnal Splendor) are from your collection!
smile.gif

PAK - Thanks for pointing that out, I fixed it. Thanks for the comments, too, glad you like it! If we could only get more cp'ers involved in this project, it could turn into the best cp resource on the net. For example, check out:

Nepenthes rajah (I wasn't involved at all in this one)
Drosera
Pinguicula
Drosera anglica

By and large, however, CP pages are nonexistent or too short to be informative.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]And you mentioned NASC!

Of course! I'm the director of PR, aren't I?
smile_n_32.gif

Nice job Noah. That's about the most professional looking and informitive wiki page I have seen. I'm sticking it in my favorites for future reference.

Wow. Never expected to have my babies in a pitcher plant related article. I am shocked you would use mine. Thanks. Even got kudos from the wife!! AND the NASC and the ICPS are both mentioned. Good work, Noah! Thank you for using pics of my kiddies. I see you are stilled infatuated with the Tibbie plants!

Very good. I actually altered it a few weeks ago. Flava var. maxima was described as having a lot of color for some reason.

Maxima has color. In the growing point only. But color.

Yeah, I'm not sure who wrote that. Thanks for fixing it (and the S. purpurea article too!). The species pages all need fixing up... I think only 3 are even existent right now.
confused.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Maxima has color. In the growing point only. But color.
Unless it's transparent, everything has color!
smile_n_32.gif

Hi, I have a question regarding S. Rosea. The wikipedia article says it's been widely disclaimed, but recently I've still seen it being used around.

Hope I didn't start a taboo taxonomic topic. Thanks.

SpyC, No worms here! We all know what is being talked about when rosea is mentioned, so use it if you like it. Means little in the overall scheme of things. Varietal names are fairly useless, and really put the plants in a box where a red tube, green lid is concerned. S. flava var. rubricorpora's color goes WAY beyond Schnell's attempt at sorting out the whole thing, but some things were not taken into consideration, so it makes no difference! You get stuck with what you get stuck with. No one wants to raise the issue of rubricorpora has variations within the Variety. But since that could become too involved, just call'em ornata, or even atropurpurea, as some rubricorpora do color up red completely. So if they were red tube, green lid going in, and the tube darkens with age, and the red spreads everywhere over the plant, then the plant is perpetrating FRAUD!!!!! An identity change!!!! Fie and Away!!!! Methinks much is afoot!!! If it is easier to call a plant by another name just to be different, or try to sort out the mess, well, take your pick. I would rather go to work on the genetic variation within the variety. An incredible Brain Tease for me!!! As far as names, whether varietal names, or good ole names from before the changes, do what you want. Most of the older growers will know what you are talking about when no one else will. No matter which name you use.

Hi SpyCspider,

Thanks for asking! I think that the name S. rosea is used mainly because it is shorter and easier to write than Sarracenia purpurea subsp. venosa var. burkii, not because people accept its status as a separate species.
smile.gif
Your thoughts?

-noah

Back