What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

attention:: sun pitchers like lowland

Sorry if this is old. Im wondering how many people grow sun pitchers in lowland. I keep mine right next to the bical and water them like once every three weeks and they're doing great. Actually its quite surprising that the soil stays wet so long, but its completely closed off and very humid and VERY warm. All that cold water every day stuff never really worked for me.

It's H. Minor and H. Heteradoxa. yes they are noob sunpitchers, but still. I think I got the H. Minor from Tony, it's awesome
smile_k_ani_32.gif

Oh yea, and I will have pictures as soon as my parents bring the camera back, which hopefully will be tomorrow.

Wow, thats intresting. Lets see pic's.

Hey, maybe I'll give heli's a shot. Are your plants producing mature pitchers under these conditions?

Peter

Sounds like a bit of a "juggling act".
smile_m_32.gif
Say hello to the Captain!

I grow my H. heterodoxa x minor in my terrarium with other lowland neps. It loves it in there. Huge spoons and lots of tasty nectar.

Larry do you have a photo i would love to see you're plant =)

Hey larry I think im going to the lacps meeting, is it at the same place and time?

And yes they both have mature pitchers, but the minor actually started out with them. I think drew would remember when I was waiting for the heteradoxa to start making mature pitchers, well it finally did.

My mom still isn't home yet with the camera, but I should be able to get a couple pics up tonight.

I also grow my Heliamphora in lowland conditions. They haven't had any problems so far.

minor.jpg

To give you an idea of what I grow it with... here's mr. ampullaria (all green blah)
amp.jpg

My heteradoxa used to be really small and had no mature pitchers but just recently made 2 great ones and is starting to become a cool plant
hetx.jpg

(you can see the old pitchers from what it used to look like)

edit: Mods, I hope these arent too big? sorry I havent posted any pics here for a while. Also, the first one is my h. minor.

If you want I could also post the minimal-trouble set up i use to grow it, which is basically a plastic tub with HD flourescent above. Or anything else you want to see

Could I have the temperature range of your lowland conditions? Lowland for me is in the 80s both day and night. Although the helis are not dying off, they are not doing well. Perhaps, most of you would have a significant drop in night temperatures?
confused.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Cindy @ June 13 2006,2:27)]Could I have the temperature range of your lowland conditions? Lowland for me is in the 80s both day and night. Although the helis are not dying off, they are not doing well. Perhaps, most of you would have a significant drop in night temperatures?
confused.gif
I believe that's the key for me: lower temperatures at night.

For the most part, my temps drop down into the low 70s during a given night.

Oh, and DroseraDude, I see a N. bical pitcher hiding in one of your pictures. Would you mind posting a few pics of the plant?
smile.gif

Beautiful plants!

The next lacps meeting will be at the CSUF greenhouse.
I've posted this pic before. It's a closeup, don't have a pic of the entire clump. It's grown so much, it's seriously needing to be repotted.

helispoon.jpg

Great looking sun pitchers, Larry
smile.gif

What's the highest the temperature gets in that terrarium?

Low 90's, but that's rare. It's not temperature controlled. Usually about 5 degrees warmer than whatever the temp in the house is.

isthere any possible way you can make a Heliomorpha happy on a window sill? i want one so bad but i dont want one that will get to big(H. Minor) or that is too needy. cand they be on a window sill with frequent misting?
alex

[b said:
Quote[/b] (glider14 @ June 13 2006,4:51)]isthere any possible way you can make a Heliomorpha happy on a window sill? i want one so bad but i dont want one that will get to big(H. Minor) or that is too needy. cand they be on a window sill with frequent misting?
alex
I grow 2 in a terrarium right now.
One is a muture clump and one is a tiny clump that will take some time to grow up. Once that happens it will be moved out onto the windowsill for the do or die test.
So I can not help you right now, but maybe this time next year it will get moved out.

Gecko:: Yea I will get some bical pictures today, it grows alongside them.

cindy: There IS temperature drop at night, it goes to the mid 70's, while in the daytime it is 80-90. (My window i keep open at night)

Larry: Nice plant. also, thanks for the info on the meeting, what time does it start?

Thanks, droseradude. Here where I am, it can be 86 in the day and 84 in the night! I need to think of some way to cool these fellows down a little.

Ok, sorry for the delay. as promised here is the bical pic, but its out of focus
IMG_7388.jpg

IMG_7390.jpg

and not to go off topic too far, heres a really old picture of what my heliamphora was like a long time ago. its from larry wong's lacps pictures.
DSCN0717.JPG

Back