What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

S. purpurea question

When filling their pitchers, does it matter what water you use? I started using tap thinking it wouldn't harm it but I wanted to make sure.

they absorb minerals through their leaves. use RO/DI/rain/distilled water.

If you use normal tap water the pitchers will die quickly and you will harm the plant and possibly even kill it.

Ok, I better quit using the tap water then... Thanks for the help. Hopefully they survive

thats a bit misleading, their are areas of the US where you can use tap water just fine. but since most ppl dont want to pay to have the tests done they say stick to R/O, distilled and rain water. personally i can darn near get my daily iron and calcium from my tap water so i use R/O
smile_n_32.gif
smile_m_32.gif

Reading this thread makes me wonder if it really matters.

I mean, the pitchers fill up with rain right? Then they catch bugs right? Well dont you think that as the bugs decompose they release various disolved solids into the water? If thats the case why would tap water be bad?

Just an observation.

because the concentration in tap water is alot higher. and im mean in alot of cases its ALOT higher. at our last house the water comming out of our well was so bad we didnt cook with it both because of the high sulfur content and the fact that it was so high in various salts drinking it just made you thirstier
smile_n_32.gif

Back