What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

S. oreophila in Natural Habitat

Clint

Stay chooned in for more!
I've been telling you guys for over a year that we had a house about 15-20 minutes away from a S. oreophila bog. I promised you pics but never got them until now! Maybe some of you thought i was lying. Comments are welcome.

By the way, the hill above the plants is being developed for housing (Not the bog, just the land above the bog). The Nature Conservancy is trying to buy a few acres above the bog from the developer to trap some silt.

Please don't ask me where these plants are, Top Secret
smile.gif

JLAP,
Thanks for sharing these excellent pics. Not too many of us will ever get to see these plants in their native habitat.

Beautiful pics. Those oreophilas look like the one I have growing here.

JLAP, Did you mention they were from Towns County, Georgia? There were four stands. Are there still four stands of s. oreophila?

Moved to where it SHOULD be!!!!! Pitcher Plant Forum!!!!

Really nice photos! Thanks for sharing.

Bug- we have a house in Towns county, and i thought i knew where a stand in Towns county was, but when i got there there was nothing. then 5 miles into NC, i found a nursery and asked if they knew where they were at. they told us, with hesitation, and then i found these! It's pretty awesome huh? Just by driving down the road you'd never know, because they are right next to a campground!

I don't know how many stands are in towns county, or where they are, but i do know about this one! every couple of years they torch the whole bog to kill the brush. last spring you could easily see yellow Utricularia flowers and some sort of beat-red drosera growing in depressions, but i couldn't find them this year.

The man who looks after the property lives next to it. He's paid by the Nature conservancy to test water samples and stuff. He said he didn't realize what a big deal they were untill FBI agents showed up and installed cameras and asked him to report anyone who went into the bog. The FBI agents said that people had been poaching them.

JLAP Its good to see you back man! Way cool on the pictures! Thanks for sharing!

Would it be a good idea to stop back in December, and make sure the seeds in the capsules all disperse?

When you are in those bogs, Scott, you touch NOTHING!!!! Any excuse to give you trouble, so DO NOT EVEN TOUCH'EM!!!!! Remember, The FBI is watching! Rather than share to alleviate any poaching, as usual, they try to lock it down tighter, and hatch'em out like chicks! This causes those with a sense of fairness to holler, "NOT FAIR!!!" But, since they don't understand the best way to protect something is to make sure they are available in the "market place" for distribution, the same old stuff is what you get. They all but build a fence around them. Look, don't touch. If all had the plants, these areas could then be opened up to interested parties for field trips to see them outside of a collection in their Natural Home. AND, they could even charge a little fee, and further make money to help the site. But, I make too much sense, so I better go play with blocks or something.

When you go back to disperse the seeds, can you pull out one of the red ones and ship it to me?  Just act nonchalant when the camera's pointing at you and disguise yourself by wearing a turban.

LMAO Bruce your going to get someone shot!

Have i been made a sticky? dude thats awesome! i'm so honored
biggrin.gif

Ya lil punk!!! Ya had it coming!!!!

HEE HEE!!!!!

wow.:O That's amazing, I've never seen a photo of them that healthy in the wild. Good job.

Mkae sure to wave at the camera and say your name loudly and clearly, also state how many plants you touched and dug for Bruce, then moon camera very well.
smile_n_32.gif

FBI huh? First time I've seen the Fed's worry about wildlife.

I'm bad. I touched them
smile.gif
I even *Gasp!* opened them up and looked inside. Didin't dig anything up though.

It was very hard to walk in some places and bone dry in others.

Back