What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sarracenia Seed harvest??

JB_OrchidGuy

Cardiac Nurse
Calling all Sarracenia folks!

I'm trying to become one, and with the kind help of a member, my sarracenia collection has doubled. THANKS JBL. One of the sarracenia sent to me was an S minor that had 3 flower spikes. The plant was healthy enough so I pollinated all three flowers, but only two took. So I think anyway. The area in which the anthers were surounding is swelling. Since this will be my first capsules I assume those are it.

My question is when do I harvest the seed? I don't want to wait to long and have them naturaly dispurse. That will not be a horible thing, but I just want to sow a few of the seed for myself and then pay it forward to the forum with the extra, or like some calls it. The Tamlin effect! Great man! I am very interested in being an active member in the Tamlin army so harvesting seed would be the prefured thing to do. I don't want let them dispurse like I managed to do with an orchid capsule recently. So much for sending those seed to Troy meyers. Any who, thanks for the help!

Mid to late September is when I always harvest mine. Striate them, and put the into seed trays.

Only striate the ones I will be sowing myself correct? The ones that I send to the lucky forum member/s, depending on the ammount of seed, I just leave dry correct?

Stratify those you will be germinating, the rest are air dried, put into envelopes, and kept cool.

YOu will generally see the seed pod begin to dry and perhaps even start to crack. If you keep an eye on it, you can easily harvest the seed before they fall out. Sarracenia seed are also a LOT larger than orchid seed!!!

Back