What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

new

• Thread starter piko
  • Start date
  • Tags
    grow
what is a cheap easy pitcher plant that is good for beginners to grow?

S. rubra and S. purpea are two easy pitchers.

S. rubra ssp. rubra. North and South Carolina. Lotsa water, lotsa sun, best pitchers are in the fall.
S. purpurea ssp. purpurea. Across the Northern USA in boggy areas. Very cold hardy.

with that purpurea how cold of temperature does it like. I,m looking for something that can survive and thrive in a semi-arid environment: summer 40-50 at night 80-90 during the day, winter 0-30 at night 20-50 during the day. i suppose if i find anything for the summer i would have to bring it in during the summer.

S. purpurea can be found in the Northeast, so that one seems to be the best candidate. You could also mulch it for the winter or have it grown as a minibog and bring it in your attic or garage for the winter.

I don't have an attic or a garage would my bedroom work

No, they need to be cold from November til March. A fridge, or outside in a sheltered location with fleece would work.

I dunno, the conditions piko has described are similar to mine. I have had success with S. Purpurea(venosa), S. x Catsbei, S. x 'Dixie Lace'. I think it depends on what you want to do. I might add that my plants are sheltered as they are right next to my house, but have been iced over on a couple of occasions.... I didn't mean to let that happen. I'm not nearly as experience as the Bugman or Alvin but I'm always happy to try something new. I'd definately go with the purp, but a flava could be good too. In my expeirence, it's hard to kill a flava. I've killed too many rubras though. Good luck with the hobby... or obsession.

Back