What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My Cephalotus no pitcher

Hi there, I am new new comer on this forum.

I am learming to grow many Carnivorous plant before but always failed to grow new pitcher. Two months ago I bought a new C.P. called Cephalotus follicularis, similar to my previous C.P. no new pitcher appears, but with new light flat / glossy green leaves.

I always used distilled water with no any fertilizer. The depth of pot is 3" (also around 3" diameter). Yesterday I try to use Dyno-gro 7-9-5 plus Superthrive with dilution 1:4000 of distilled water into the remaining pitchers.

I don't thing if above adding fertilizer methiod work well and I read most of experts articles advising to use deeper pots.
Or my living place is actually a bit hot (usually 86-90 F) & wet (70%) but I usually give my Cephalotus air-conditioning after work.

Could any body can give me advise how to grow the new pitcher ?  Thank you !!

They need humidity to pitcher, so I wouldn't use the air con.

Different clones seem to pitcher better than others. It's best to be patient - mine has only just starting pitchering over the last couple of weeks after spending the rest of the time growing flat leaves.

Your plant is also small, so it probably feels the need to grow some tissue for photosynthesis before bothering with pitchers.

my plants take ulta lowland temps just fine,that is not to say tha'ts optium however. keep the humidity up and wait a little while.

you live in hong kong right? it might to best outside if you aclimate it.

dont we know these leaves as "winter leaves" ?

I have just the opposite problem on one of my small cephs!
All new pitchers but only 1 leaf or so.
I wouldn't worry about it, let the plant do its thing.

smile_m_32.gif

Thank you : ) I will be patient to wait, and decide not to repotting her into deeper pot.

Hi, JustLikeAPill, Yes, my living place is Hong Kong and now is Summer with very high temperature and humidity but usually poor air movement.  Thus, I usually avoid placing her under direct sun light with raised temperature to 95 F and fear it will boil my plant. I don't know if I am right on it.

Hi glider14, I read some web site that such non-carnivorous leaves are produced in the spring. Or.. the air condition environemnt let the plant as spring ?? Since I recalled that these glossy green leaves "suddently" appear since I open air con.

Hmmm, to increase humidity, I see some people suggest a inexpensive method of placing her into an nearly closed tank / plastic bag with water inside the tank / bag.
Will it be a must to let her produce much pitcher ? since my home doesn't have enough place to have such tank..

It would probably be better just to keep it outside. Your conditions sound good for it and air movement is guaranteed outside.
I would avoid plastic bags or cases - it will just lead to stagnant air and fungal attack.

Back