What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dormancy Questions

Just joined the forum. Used to grow cp's as a kid, but my parents house was in the shade - so no luck growing them. Have my own place now with plenty of sun.

I have a few mini bogs going, shallow bowls, with a variety of North American pitchers - some purple pitchers, flava, rubra, Judith Hindle, and a leuc. Have some dewthreads and vft too.

I live in upstate NY, and our first frosts are late Sept, but at least mild growing conditions can sometimes last into mid-oct.

For the winter, I'm planning on moving the plants inside to my garage, which is somewhat warmer than the outdoors. It can get down to -25 at my place, and the garage should be 40's-50's all winter, likely not warmer. There is NO light in the garage.

For those of you who have done this, is a complete lack of sunlight ok for the pitchers for the winter? For those of you in New York/New England area, any tips on winter dormancy for more southern plants?

Many thanks.

If plants can survive the winter in a refridgerator, then I think they should be fine with the light situation in a garage. You can do a search for dormancy topics here on the forums and come up with a lot of good and pertinant information. My say is that, absed on information given, the garage would probably be fine.

I keep my Sarracenia in the garage in the winter. I leave them outside through a few light frosts but quickly bring them in before the first big freeze. No light is fine for that period, but keep them as cool as possible. The floor of the garage, against the wall, will probably be relatively cooler anyway. Check them once in a while so that they do not dry out too much. I generally cut all the dead foliage back in February or early March. They are outside again here in April.

Back