What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Will Cephalotus Pitchers Die When Moved?

Will cephalotus pitchers die when moved like neps? Also what should the soil mix be?

Cephs might suffer from a shock, I had it when I placed them outside where the humidity is a lot lower then in my terrerium, but it's doing great now.

I grow my Ceph in a regular peat perlite ( 50/50 ) soil mix, as long as the mix drains enough water it wil be alright.

In my experience, my Ceph has done pretty well with changes and doesn't let any pitchers brown. Give it enough stress and I'm sure you can lose pitchers, though.

I had one Ceph lose a few pitchers when it was moved to an area with less intense light, but the plant recovered just fine by pumping out many replacements. Other than that I've noticed that Cephs are much tougher than many growers give them credit for. I had one Ceph that I repotted like three separate times within a few months and it didn't slow down one bit.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ] Other than that I've noticed that Cephs are much tougher than many growers give them credit for.

Difficulty is always relative. I grow a Ceph and a Heli as a plain windowsill plants. But some people would kill me for the ability to do so. Or out of jealousy.
smile_m_32.gif

Ceph's HATE to have their roots disturbed, for repotting I usually take the dirt it's in and just put it into a bigger pot with more dirt. My dirt? I usually use a mix of peat, sand and perlite. I kinda mix it by feel instead of by specific amounts, Ceph's like to be well-drained, but also good & solid.

If the cepts is strong, it should be no problem on just moving to another area supposing that ligh, temp., and humidty is good.

Hi quogue, I agree with your point, it really will have problem if any root disturbed.
My real experience that I re-potted my cepts with root cut / broken during migration The grow of whole plant would clearly and suddently stop, some smaller pitchers began to "dry" out on the next day.

I don't know how long the cepts will recover her growth.

IT has been said its all relative to the grower, you cant meassure any specific thing, except for the few required things like lighting, watering, soil depth, and nutrient free soil, but other wise Size of pot, humidity, and all those other fluxuating factors are all relative. Some one could have it horrible with the repoting, but some could have no problem at all with it. Ive never grown a ceph but I want to.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (norns @ Nov. 17 2006,8:27)]If the cepts is strong, it should be no problem on just moving to another area supposing that ligh, temp., and humidty is good.

Hi quogue, I agree with your point, it really will have problem if any root disturbed.
My real experience that I re-potted my cepts with root cut / broken during migration The grow of whole plant would clearly and suddently stop, some smaller pitchers began to "dry" out on the next day.

I don't know how long the cepts will recover her growth.
Yeah, I've had the same experience as does everyone who grows Ceph's, they don't appreciate having their roots disturbed. They go into shock and stop growing and lose their pitchers quickly leaving one with an ugly stump that takes it's time to start growing again. But they always do grow again, sometimes takin a very long time to do so.

I've gotten Ceph's from the Meadowview Biological Research Station as well as other sources, Imagine my surprise/disappointment when Meadowview shipped it bareroot, well I called em an they told me to let it harden off/acclimate before potting.
They said to let it sit on a damp paper towell in the plastic baggy it came in and with the baggy slightly open. I forget how many days I was to leave it like this, but when I planted it, it worked! I didn't lose all the pitchers/leaves and I got new ones pretty quickly.
I've never potted a bareroot Ceph and had it take off so well like this! Usually they take forever...

My Ceph went all shocky when I moved it into my new house. It went from a low-humidity (50%-60%) low-air-movement terrarium to one with high humidity and a lot of air movement, and I also put it under much brighter lights. It stopped growing for a while and looked fine, and then a few months ago it started dropping pitchers like crazy. Fortunately, in the past few weeks it's begun putting out new leaves and pitchers, and I think it has generally recovered. So, yes, they can drop pitchers when moved, in my experience, and they can be real stubborn about resuming normal growth too.
~Joe

[b said:
Quote[/b] (seedjar @ Nov. 17 2006,4:14)]It stopped growing for a while and looked fine, and then a few months ago it started dropping pitchers like crazy.
Unlike other cv, e.g. my D.affinis can recover from serious shock in a fews days, Cepts really cannot tolerate any types of shock and require long period of time to recover.
As a Cepts grower, how to provide and maintain a very stable environment is vital. Preventation of bug infected is also an important since elimination of bug is inevasible to give a stock to her.
Growing cepts is a mixture of happiness and tear.
blush.gif

I showed one of my Ceph's at the NECPS show, I packed it in my Jeep, drove across Long Island, took the Ferry to Conneticut, drove across to Rhode Island, and did all that on the way back. And the Ceph never showed any signs of stress whatsoever. Maybe 4 & 1/2 hours of travelling each way..
I planted it into a larger pot to give it more room to grow recently and again, it looks no worse for the wear...
Now disturbing it's roots on the other hand... well, lets just say I've already learned that lesson the hard way.. so I'll avoid doing that at all costs...

When I first got my baby Cephalotus from a friend two years ago, I placed it outside on my front porch (which should be fine since I live on the SF Peninsula) but either the wind or the change in climate nearly killed it. It lost all of its pitchers and died back to the ground.

I was sure that it was a goner but decided to keep it for a while just in case. A few weeks later I noticed new pitchers coming out of the growing points and it went on to make a full recovery. It is now doing fine living on an east-facing windowsill.

Here is a picture that I just took this morning:

normal_ceph03.jpg

my cepts seems be recover her growth. Meanwhile 1 tiny pitchers dries out, and 2 tiny pitchers are semi-tried.

However, the colour of green leaf become little yellow, since new pichers is growing so I think she is ok.

Great PIcs!

I have not messed with ceph roots, but I now have 4 cephs all growing in different media. The one that is growing most prolifically (it has more pitchers than I can count) is growing in live sphagnum - very well draining, but not very solid. The plant is a mere 2" from the shallow pot (really a plastic cup) bottom and it typically sits in 1/2 - 1" of water.

My smallest is in a 2.25" square pot. This has roughly 50:50 peat:sand and sits in a shallow saucer of water. I rooted a leaf in this (during the summer in a window sill mini greenhouse) and after it began to grow I added a top dressing of cut up LFS. It now has 3 pitchers.

My previous rooting (I rooted this leaf in live sphag) is growing in 50:50 peat:perlite. It is now on a grow rack about 2" from 160W of  flourescent light under a humidity dome. It does not sit in water. It is doing great.

My "mother" plant is not doing so well. It is in a 4" square pot with a fairly dense mix of peat, sand, and perlite. I have always had it in a window sill English Arboretum (sp?) next to the prolific one above. It came with some kind of non-sphag moss growing on the original soil that I cannot get rid of. This has caused a mild fungus outbreak to grow periodically that I carefully scrape off. It only grew 2 pitchers this summer and looks pathetic. I feel I must now repot the plant before it is too late....I will wash away all the original soil and completly repot. Wish me luck!

Back