What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sarracenia: Before and After photos

I haven't posted here in a while, but I just decided to show some Before & After shots of some of my plants over the last 3 months.

S. purpurea
BEFORE (May 2006): These were slow to start off this year because there was A LOT more cloudy and rainy days than usual this spring (Bay Area, California).
IMG_1049.jpg

AFTER (August 11, 2006): Full pot!!! It grew slowly for weeks, and it wasn't until the past few weeks that the pot got filled up. I definetly need to seperate these for next season.
IMG_1246.jpg

NOTE: The grass in the above photo is from the LFS I put in the pot. Every plant I used that LFS for grew grass. I don't want to pull it because I am afraid to disturb the root systems of the CP.

S. minor
BEFORE (May 2006): Photo taken on the day of purchase, it was in a 2"pot and I repotted to a 4" pot. The plant lacks color, and probably wasn't recieving proper lighting.
2-1.jpg
2-2.jpg

AFTER (August 10, 2006): Much better color now. It gained a lot of new pitchers and i'm really surprised at how big the little babies got.
IMG_1243.jpg

S. purpurea x ? (Help ID Please)
BEFORE (May 2006): Same as above. The day of purchase, and repotted to 4". Also looking like it needs more light.
1-1.jpg
1-2.jpg

AFTER (August 10, 2006): Now that it's full sun, it turned DARK RED!... It looks like a different plant now!
IMG_1245.jpg

IMG_1242.jpg

Oops, it's 4:30 AM... I should sleep.

BTW, I confess to breaking a big CP rule. I've been watering with tap water since the first pics were taken. They've been doing fine though, right?...
smile_k_ani_32.gif

Fantastic.

Yank that grass out if you want. Your purps will be well anchored in the soil.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say the last plant is S. "Love bug". Great plants. How many hours of sunlight do you give them?

I have the same problem with the (Bleeping) grass. your plants look great.

Dang, your plants look amazing man. I love seeing progress like that! I especially like that pot full of Purple Pitcher Plants.

This makes me want to try some outdoor CPs this next growing season.

Very nice. I always was a sucker for before 'n afters.

Yes, this winter really was weird! We got those one or two really warm weeks very early, then it all went to sod again for a good while longer than hoped for. I actually had a funky flowering season with my Sarracenia because of it.

Whereabouts coastal Cali are ya? I'm abouts Santa Cruz (Aptos, actually); about an hour south of SJ.

Back