What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Plant Worries

I've noticed that some of my pitcher plants are wilting and turning brown. It's been really hot over here in East Texas, could that be a factor? It has been only a few so far, mainly S. flava vars. and a leuco or two. They get plenty of pure water several times daily. I am stumped.

Keep the pots fooded with distilled, RO, or rain water. You can't overwater a Sarr. If the plants are new to your environment, or haven't experienced temps like they are now they should adjust to it. If there is still new growth coming from the crown, I wouldn't worry because usually the new growth will be able to tolerate the new conditions. If the new growth starts looking like it's burning up or browning then I would consider sheltering the plants during the hot noon hours and give them some shade instead.

Any chance we could get a picture? Wilting can be a couple of different things and a picture may help identify what's going on.

Many spring pitchers will be browning off at this time of year, but they shouldn't wilt.

first thing that comes to mind is a root problem- if the roots are comprimised they can't absorb water like they should and the plants wilt. i'm surprised they are wilting because they get alot of water, even though it's hot. i live in ga and temps over 100 don't seem to bother mine at all. come to think of it i've never had a floppy pitcher (never thought i'd say that before)

CarthageTxBogs.jpg

Ok, now I'm thinking bugs. I've noticed some deformed traps on one of my VFTs. Might be time to break out the WMDs, Ortho Systemic pesticide!

Back