What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cephalotus has no roots

This cephalotus I just got in a trade has no roots. It is only about 2 months old he said. What if anything can I do for this? I tried to water it but it just washed away. what should I do for this little plant? It is only the size of a grain of rice. It is still green though. I have it in a sand/peat moss mixture by a east window in a 4 inch pot.

It's still a seedling, and since they grow slowly, I'm not surprised that it doesn't have any roots. Just make a little depression with a toothpick or something, place it in, and use the tray method to water it.

Hope this helps,
-Ben

The guy said it's a cutting, not a seedling. I got some take root stuff. Will that help and I would mist it to keep it wet and put it in a humidity dome.

eh just put it in your mix of choice and put a baggie over it...no rooting hormones. you want the cutting to bud and for roots...this is kind of like ping cuttings.
Alex

auctually i said it was a very small (i believe i said puny) plant grown from a cutting
smile.gif

If you have live sphagnum, use it as a medium for the plant. I have used live sphagnum for cephalotus plants fresh from tissue culture and they hardly have any roots. Because of its antibacterial/antifungus property, it helps the cephalotus plants to acclimatise and grow roots. It also keeps the humidity around the plant up. You may need to keep an eye on the sphagnum though, in case it overgrows and bury your little plant.

Just plant it and wait. Don't use rooting hormone as I believe that doesn't do any good to CPs.

Instead of the bag I put a plastic cup over it. I figured it's the same thing. Should I though maybe cut a hole in the top so it could maybe get some air flow?

Back