What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

S. purpurea

glider14

Always a newbie
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Adult plants enjoy full sun outdoors. Sarracenia purpurea ssp. purpurea requires seasons in order to survive long term. Sarracenia purpurea ssp. venosa is more tolerant of moderate seasons. Seedlings of both subspecies make excellent terrarium plants without winter dormancy for up to two years. You might be able to keep Sarracenia purpurea ssp. venosa in a terrarium indefinitely.
got that from the ICPS website....is it possible?

But why...

Purps are the easiest and most tolerable plant to dormancy.

All sarracenia need dormancy every year, with the exception of seedlings.

Yep, it makes sense, especially if you live northerly like I do, seedlings ar the more southern species probably wouldn't survive our winters, so I let 'em get larger before giving them the cold rest of Canadian winters.
I think part of the trick is that in the first year (from germination onwards) the plant will just keep growing vegetatively- if nothing triggers flower production, the plant will just keep trying to get bigger, which is what ya want from seedlings.

I would imagine taking any plants that HAS experienced dormancy and trying to make it go without is a real bad idea, tho, but with seedlings it really does seem to be what they don't know don't hurt 'em
biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I would imagine taking any plants that HAS experienced dormancy and trying to make it go without is a real bad idea, tho, but with seedlings it really does seem to be what they don't know don't hurt 'em
if thats true...could you skip dormancies of VFTs other Sarrs and Dews? i know what you are saying about the experience thing. i should be getting S. purpurea ssp venosa seeds soon so ill try some with out dormancy for several years and wones with dormancy...
Alex

I sow my seeds in December and keep them under lights the next year, so 22 or 23 months of growth. By this time they are larger than siblings that have had dormancy, but looking leggy. After their first dormancy they put on a tremendous growth spurt and are many are virtually adults the season after that, when they've had their second dormancy.

Back