What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Your worst weeds??

I was just curious what weeds have been a problem for your cps, either in pots or in the ground. I grow my Sarracenia in large, undrained pots. I am not sure of the species, but I have a type of fine rush growing in some of them. It grows a large root system and spreads quickly by rhizomes. I don't know if it effects the growth of the plants, but it sure takes over the pot and is difficult to remove.

I also have crabgrass growing in some of my pots, although I have been removing it. Odd that this fast-growing, warm season annual can survive in my lawn when the drought has caused all other grass to brown, and yet also survive in the acidic, water-logged soil of my Sarracenia pots.

U. subulata!

For me it has to be Burmanni. I dont think I'll ever get rid of it.

weeds? none yet. but i got some seeds of D. burmanni...prepare for the end!!!
smile_n_32.gif
smile_n_32.gif

ALex

Bog orchids!They grow like weeds!They are the plague my plants!

Jerry

cephalotus!!! and N. hamatas......talk about annoying.
smile_n_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (SpyCspider @ Aug. 26 2006,12:45)]cephalotus!!!  and N. hamatas......talk about annoying.  
smile_n_32.gif
LOL! Hey... at least burmananni dies of in a year or two. But subulata is the dandelion of the CP world.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (SpyCspider @ Aug. 26 2006,12:45)]cephalotus!!! and N. hamatas......talk about annoying.
psh...i wish i was you
smile_n_32.gif

Used to be baby's breath, now its sometimes azolla. Actually the worst is the gray impermeable carpet of fungus that often forms on seedling pots. It doesn't kill them but it does choke them and the only way to remove it is to take the top layer of soil with it.

I regularly have to weed the botanic garden bog of ash tree seedlings. And also water hyacinths that the kind old volunteer ladies put in the moat
smile_n_32.gif

Peter

[b said:
Quote[/b] (SpyCspider @ Aug. 26 2006,6:45)]cephalotus!!!  and N. hamatas......talk about annoying.  
smile_n_32.gif
Well if you want to get rid of your weed you can give it to me  
smile_n_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (SpyCspider @ Aug. 26 2006,12:45)]cephalotus!!!  and N. hamatas......talk about annoying.  
smile_n_32.gif
Same here, if you ever want to get rid of your "weeds", let me know!

i'm infested with some kind of rush. the stuff really gets in there thick if you leave it. also, what I believe is canada st. johnswort (H. canadensis). they must spread thousands of seeds, that stuff is all over too.

Back