What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dormancy plan

ok so i have 2 sarrs right now, luekophylla and rubra.

i am growing them in a terrarium right now, and i need to get ready for dormancy.

i live in minnesota. the winters can get below zero... so heres my plan-

move them outside soon. let nature do its thing with the light. in mid to late october i will move them into my garage, cut the older pitchers off, and leave them there until like late jan or feb, then bring them back outside.

does this make sense? or should i just wait til october and then stick them in the fridge?

Sounds pretty similar to what I did (with success) last December. All I did was take my buckets of minibogs (Sarrs, VFT's, cobra lily, and temperate sundews) into the cold attic for the winter. I put them by a SW window sill and watered sparingly. No fungicides. One by one they woke up, starting February. Temps ranged from slightly above freezing to 50's during that time.

awesome. so should i cut all the pitchers, or just some of them off? also, theres no light at all im my garage. will that be OK?

That should be ok with the no light issue. Some people keep theirs n the fridge over the winter. Now I personaly like to trip of all the leave, but then again that is me. I like a fresh look and manicured plants. I trim off any leaf that is half dead and brown. I even trim off old pitchers on my nepenthes. I;m just a freak when it comes to having nice looking plants though. I will cut a half dead leaf back to the crown in a heartbeat.

I say keep the leaves on as they'll get a boost as soon as spring arrives.

Do you actually get decent pitchers on the leucophylla in a terrarium? This species needs maximum light to have any chance of growing well.

they are somewhat skinny, but they turn out pretty nice! truth is however its gettin pretty big and i'm gonna be looking to trade it for something more reasonable for my terrarium, like a purpurea or somethin like that.

Back