What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Aphids!

Today I found 6 or so aphids on my S. rubra Northern variety, so I quickly smushed them. My question is, is it okay to use Orthro on cp?
BTW, My S.flava has decided to send up a flower stalk and I would like to know if I should cut it or not?
Thanks,
dewy

personally I would cut the stalk off unless if your flava has been catching an enormous amout of bugs lately. Surprizingly I haven't been having a problem with aphids at all, caterpillars seem to be plaguing my butterworts though.

I have some aphid on a few plants. I just bought another bottle of Bayer rose and flower insect spray. I will try it on my affected plants, since my drowning method didn;t work one of the plants. The Bayer stuff contains merit and its the same stuff in front line. The plant absorbs the poison and makes the entire plant poisonous for 30 days supposedly. I will report if it kills the plants, but it has been used on some of the most delicate orchids from what I have been told and no problems.

BTW, in a topic frrom a few months ago, I asked aidan what the American product equivalent would be to the UK one called Provado. He gave me ingredients, which led to links, which led to the product that Josh just mentioned. I bought it and only used it on a 4' x 8' sheet of plywood that the plants were perched upon. I haven't tried it directly on the plants - yet.

I have used Orthene as well as some other insecticides on Sarracenia and I have never had a problem. Just be sure to follow the instructions on the package; dilute the proper amount, spray early morning or in the evening (not mid-day), and hit the plant from all sides so you get good coverage.

Bayer rose and flower is pre mixed. Just spray and got. Or if you had a big collection you could just buy Merit concentrate and mix it yourself. Its 45 dollars or so for the concentrate. It is far less expensive in the long run, but more upfront. The Bayer spray is about 5 bucks a spray bottle. Merit is also a systemic pesticide so it makes the plant itself poisonous for a short time.

How does that affect that wcich makes CP's what they are? Does it prevent them from catching critters?

Well, I sprayed my 3 Sarracenia, and the only side effects I have noticed so far is one slightly wilted pitcher on my S.flava. I assume this is a normal reaction at the pitcher was quite old?

Dewy what did you spray with?

Jim no I wouldn't think it would affent them from catching pray. Since it makes the plant itself poisonous and maybe the nector, but the plant is trying to capture the pray anyways. The spray would prevent something from eating the plant and not the attraction process. Thats my hypothysis anyway.

I hope so.. I have that product and would like to use it next spring, when I take the plants outside again. I took my aphid gnarled VFT's inside, to the screened kitchen sill to recuperate.

I have used Ortho Systemic Insect Killer a few times already and it works very well. I've used it on all of my collection without any cons. Well there is one...the stuff stinks! But it gets the job done. I will be applying some soon before I bring in my tropical plants. I don't want to bring any bugs inside
smile.gif

BTW Cobraplants.com (Sarr NW) uses Ortho Systemic on all of their plants and recommend its use.

Someone posted some pictures of a guys growing area by the name of Tim. I saw he had a bottome of Bayer advance tree and shurb in the back ground of some of the pictures. THat is the same stuff as the rose and flower just more concentrated. I wonder if he is using that on his CPs or just had it out in the grwoing area.

JB Orchidguy, it was Orthro. I think the pitcher died just because of old age as none of the other plants have showed any side affects.
dewy

Back