What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Heliamphora flower stalk

elgecko

I've got a magic window!
I was watering to day and noticed this.

Heliamphoraflower.jpg

I take it is a flower stalk forming.
So some questions arise as I have never had a Heliamphora flower before. Does it self pollinate, or do you have to use a paint brush to pollinate the flowers?
Any other info about the flowers or germinating seed?
Thanks

Congrats! Nice pic, too.

Peter

Wow, that's really amazing. H. nutans? It makes me want to grow one! If I remember from the SG, you have to pollinate it by hand, but I'm not sure.

-Ben

Thanks for the comments.

I looked last night in the SG to see what it said.
Just wondering what anybody elses experience was this it.

It is a Heliamphora heterodoxa x minor.

Nice maybe you could hook me up with some seeds. I don't have any from this plant group.

Is thsi one of those weird plant that you have to use a tuning fork to get the pollen to release.
I have never been successful pollinating an heliamphora. My tuning fork is busted.
Good Luck
Lois

My large clump of H. Minor currently has three flower stalks.
I have never succesfully been able to produce seeds from previous flowering. The flowers seem to never produce pollen.
Does anyone have any advice??
walter

This is what I gather from reading the SG.
The pollen is ripe after the stigma is no longer receptive.
You will have to collect pollen from the first flower to use to pollenate the second flower and so on.
Sounds like you need to use a tuning fork to release the pollen.
I will be giving it a try to see how it goes.

walter_t,
How long does the flower on your plant stay open?

Back