What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Most heat resistant Heliamphora

Hello. For a few years now i am groing lowland Neps in a big hot steamy terrarium. From time to time i have thought of tring Heliamphora in there but every time remembered they dont do so well with heat. Today i see there are many new hybrids and a few new speicas. Is there any chance one of those would grow ok in my tank? Perhaps one of the lowland hybrids?

Thanks very much
Yoav

A hybrid with H. heterodoxa would be your best bet. I have a species H. heterodoxa in a lowland chamber to see how it compares with ones in my highland setups. I have read that others have been able to keep them in lowland conditions, but I am still partial to putting them in highland conditions.

I agree with Dave that any of the hybrids are your best bet for lowland conditions. Try H.heterodoxa x minor--it's probably the easiest to find.

High humidity, live LFS (constantly moist), bright light, and a monthly foliar feed with orchid fertilizer is what keeps mine going. If you're interested in other species, I'm growing the following under the above conditions except semi-highland night temps (~60F) with great success:

1. chimantensis (Chimanta, Venezuela)
2. folliculata (Aparaman Tepui, Venezuela)
3. heterodoxa (Gran Sabana)
4. heterodoxa x ionasii
5. heterodoxa x minor
6. ionasii (Ilu Tepui)
7. minor (Auyan Tepui, Venezuela)
8. minor 'hairy' (Chimanta)
9. neblinae
10. nutans
11. nutans 'Giant'
12. pulchella (Akopan Tepui)
13. sarracenioides (H2s)
14. tatei var. tatei (Cerro Duida)
15. x 'Tequila'

minor and heterodoxa are the most heat resistant. they are fragile but are the "bomb-proof" heli's.
Alex

I've had my 'Tequila' for almost a year and it did just fine during the summer months...

Well thanks im looking for some hybrid that wont only take heat periods but that would grow in 25-30C with high humidity year round. Any one has such an experience?

My heliamphora minor doesnt seem to mind it. its a auyen tepuii

Back