What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What happen to my Dana's Delight , please

• Thread starter sborirak
  • Start date
1362.jpg

I grow this Sar. 'Dana's Delight' in Thailand. Full direct sunlight , noi chewmicals , tray system with other spp. and hybrids. Most other Sar. grow normally except this Dana. The average temp. is 32 degree celcius. Wonder if it's because of diseases or other factors else .I have no experience in this American charming insectivor. Your suggestion is very welcomed.

It could be aphid damage. That will cause the leaves to curl like that. Nothing to worry about.

One of these leaves happened to my S. purpurea ssp. purpurea, but I think it was because the leaf was damaged early in development, and so it didn't form correctly.

-Ben

Has it ever had a dormancy period?

Definetaly needs dormancy. What kind of soil is it in?

looks like LFS nepenthes_ak. my 'Dixie Lace' has a few of those and i think its just a time of the year thing.
Alex

I like it!

It's trying to be a Genlisea, but it needs to learn to be happy with who it is.

I think we could all learn a little something from this sad little Sarracenia.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (JustLikeAPill @ Dec. 28 2006,9:39)]I like it!

It's trying to be a Genlisea, but it needs to learn to be happy with who it is.

I think we could all learn a little something from this sad little Sarracenia.
...life is twisted?
rock.gif
laugh.gif

Alex

Thanks for all opinions. The soil is pure sphagnum. Never let it dormant.May be this reason.(Now is winter).
Thank again.:p

Definitely a dormancy problem. Trying to sleep, but it is too warm. Find a way to cool the rhizome, and the plant will do the rest. Without it, your plant will not last the new growing season. It REQUIRES dormancy!

Those twisted leaves are usually called "phyllodia". They are normal formed just prior to dormancy for Sarracenia.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Bugweed posted-"Find a way to cool the rhizome, and the plant will do the rest."

AHAHAHAHAHA!!! "do the REST!!!" NICE pun man, you haven't lost a beat
biggrin.gif

They happen on my flava too. They then uncurl and form normally. This year it will probably be it's first dormancy (TC plant).
The phyllodia on flava are different from this.

Every species, hybrid, or cultivar that form phyllodia (not all do), produce phyllodia that are unique.

like S. leucophylla? I heard that they produce those modified leaves during the summer and then go back to making bigger leaves, but mine produced lance shaped leaves with little tiny openings and lids.

Mine did too, but in my experience, it is more common for them to do that if they are warmer than usual. It has been a very Global Warmed mild winter for us here. Has hardly even rained.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Mine did too, but in my experience, it is more common for them to do that if they are warmer than usual. It has been a very Global Warmed mild winter for us here. Has hardly even rained.

Oh well that might be the reason then.

this is my 'Dixie Lace'. it has the same ones.
IMG_0229.jpg

IMG_0230.jpg

Alex

Alex, I see normal phyllodes. No attempts at hoods and open mouths. THAT is what most phyllodia should look like. However, certain conditions, growing habit, and a host of other reasons can produce some strange stuff. Nothing in CP is really hard and fast.

Back