What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What plant is this?

• Thread starter Ozzy
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ozzy

SirKristoff is a poopiehead
Staff member
Supporter
176736522O008454181.jpg

Hard to tell isn't it? Could it be an S. alta or rubra?

S.alta doesn't grow in NC.

It's a nice diddy seedling
smile.gif

The only way to tell is to find out what was growing in the vicinity I suppose.

could be young flava or rubra. very nice looking.
Alex

I lean towards S. rubra. I recommend digging up every nearby Sarracenia and growing them at home to verify the lineage. When you're done, you can sell them on eBay to pay yourself for the effort of taking them.

I hope Bruce is joking
slap.gif
smile.gif

What comes to mind for me is that S. flava has a thin collumn and S. rubra has a much ticker one. Im not sure how they are as seedlings though...

All seedlings have the thick neck feature really I'm afraid.

I'm sure it's a S.flava. I didn't see any adult S.rubra plants at the site. With the color of the plant and how much it looked like a S.rubra, I just wanted to ask you guys and make sure.

I lean towards S. flava. Possible variation atropurpurea. I am raising S. rubra ssp. rubra seedlings right now, and they maintain thier green coloration and veining. The hood of the seedlings is longer as well. Though hard to tell now, by mid spring to late summer next year, you should know for sure. My S. rubra seedlings are Brunswick County, North Carolina plants from Shallote. Possibly the red coloration might be due to time of year of the photo. Just when was this photo taken? S. flava var. atropurpurea are supposed to have been extirpated fron North Carolina, but as far as I am concerned, if seed fell anywhere they existed, they may yet still exist in the habitat. Good luck, Ozzy. Keep me informed as to what you come up with.
banana2.gif

I've grown many different Sarracenia from seed to maturity, species and hybrids in various conditions and locations across the USA. It doesn't look like any S. rubra I've ever grown, seedling or mature plant. It looks like a young S. flava.

They were taken in late dec. And I live 10 miles from Shallotte.
smile.gif

Well, Sir Oz, I have to concur with Joseph. I am sure it is S. flava. Which variation is yet to be determined.

Unfortunatly the may not be around much longer, as ozzy has stated elsewhere the site is being developed

I talked to the land owner today and the plants will be saved either on or off the property. I am meeting with him tomorrow.

It would be cool if you could bring that clone into cultivation and see how it performs.

I can and I will.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back