What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ceph pic

these are still relatively young, but getting there. I'm trying to find the right balance of light to get the reds, yellows and oranges... I'm not a big fan of the dark burgandy.. but I'm not going to complain :)

cephalotus.jpg

Cheers'
Av

Yes, that's a fine lookin clump of plant- all of them clumps of new growth around the base of it are real promising too :D

I can't tell though, what do you have it potted up in?? Seems like a mix of sphag and peat, but you can't judge a medium by it's picture eh??

Good Growing, tho, whatever it's growing in- hope you get the colours (Canadian Spelling there) the way you want them and can add another pic of the "masterpiece" when he's ready

mabudon,

I use deep containters filled with:

30% Milled Sphagnum
25% Coir fiber
25% Perlite
10% Sand
5% Charcoal
5% Chooped Live Sphagnum

HTH's
Av

Wow.. that's a really complicated mix. o.o

But that is a REALLY nice looking ceph!

It makes for a very light and airy mix, I really, really like it and so does my cephs....
wish I could take credit for it but I cant, it came from a major ceph guru in the UK

Very nice looking colony! One suggestion: Wherever you see a winter leaf, I would do leaf pullings and get them propogated. Ya never know when something might go wrong. Always good to have a backup or 2 or... Also makes good tradebait!

Oh my Jim if you only knew.... ;)

the one that you see in the background of that pic is a root cutting of mine,
and there is also another root cutting that you dont see in that same container...Ive got backups

I've learn the hard way, I also use Trichoderma and Bacillus monthly now as well... IMHO great stuff,

Trichoderma info

I use a cocktail of Ampac Biotech's strain (cold loving) with SubCulture's root innoculant

Av

You're well ahead of the game! Thanks for the info. Now... where does one procure these products?

Jim,

To get Ampac's product simply contact them directly, kelly will probably answer the phone or email.. she'll fix ya right up,

http://ampacbiotech.net

they have the patent on their strain, so they are the only source for it i believe, it has at least a two year shelf life if kept in the fridge,

SubCulture's mfg website

they distribute their products through hydro shops mainly

usually i see a 6 month shelf life mentioned for it and "root sheild" (another brand of T-22)

now this is relatively new terrain, so go slow at first... it has never caused any issues with my plants but of course your milage may vary

I use it on as a monthly drench, as a soak for root cutting and in seed beds, read the independent data, it's very impressive

the big thing now in large scale apps (golf courses, country clubs etc) is to spread some corn meal to encourage Trich growth, Trich loves it... Im wondering about adding a little corn meal to my cp mixes... but just a thought at the moment

HTH's
Av

I just have to say that I thought I'd heard every wacky "soil additive" going, but corn meal REALLY takes the cake- if it works, you must post results here please, as it sounds both ludicrous AND ingenius at the same time....

Mabudon,

I know it sounds goofy, but the science and research backs it up... now Im just talking a sprinkling of it, not much... the cornmeal juice may be an alternative...
with the tendency for cephs to suffer fungal attack the idea is to increase the therapeutic trichoderma levels, plus the resulting increase in root mass and nutrient uptake effciency :)

Here is an excerpt about some research at Texas A&M:

Biological Control of Soilborne Fungi

It is known that certain fungal species in the genus Trichoderma feed on mycelium and sclerotia of Sclerotinia minor. Sclerotium rolfsii and Rhizoctonia sp. All peanut fields in Texas tested to date have a natural population of Trichoderma. For several years, tests have been conducted in Texas using corn meal to stimulate Trichoderma development as a way to control the major soilborne disease fungi. When yellow corn meal is applied to fields in the presence of moist surface soil, Trichoderma builds up very rapidly over a 5 to 10 day period. The resulting high Trichoderma population can destroy vast amounts of Sclerotinia, Sclerotium and Rhizoctonia. This enhanced, natural biological control process is almost identical to the processes that occur when crop rotation is practiced. The level of control with corn meal is influenced by: 1) organic matter source 2) soil moisture, 3) temperature, and 4) pesticides used. Seasonal applications of certain fungicides may inhibit Trichoderma. Testing will continue to determine the rates and application methods that will give consistent, economical control.

http://stephenville.tamu.edu/pp/pdncr/index.html

Av

Last edited:
Oh and fwiw the root cuttings in the backgroud are only 4 months old :)

Oh no, that's why I said "ludicrous AND ingenius", I am actually interested in hearing how it works out, I am still a relativley new Ceph owner and am still afraid to muck with them at ALL, so I'm hoping this idea has some applications THEN I might give it a shot, Cephs ain't really "avaliable" in Canada yet and I have to keep the ones I have as best I can for now

I have a big seed order coming from rarexoticseeds.com, ceph seeds are included... they should make for a good corn meal subject

Back