What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SUCCESS!!

glider14

Always a newbie
alright! i got successful Sarracenia germination! may not sound very big but they are quite lucky. they have been attacked by the dreaded mold!! this is also my very first germination of a CP requireing stratification.
Heres a list of so far germinated:
S. flava var rubricorpora-Liberty County, FL(close to 5 seedlings!)
Unknown hybrid(7 so far)
S. Flava var. Autropurpurea-- Miramar Beach, FL(1 seedling)

id like to thank Brooks Garcia for supplying me with(almost) all of my seed.
ill get pics up later.
Alex

Last edited:
Congrats!

Well I'm glad to hear that they germinated, and yes I do agree that the seeds that require stratification are very susceptable to the dreded MOLD!

Congrads Alex :-D

they will be itty bitty babies for a bit

cheers'
Av
(fellow kentuckyian)

S. flava var rubricorpora?!!

:hail: :hail: :rookwoot:

Last edited by a moderator:
Google it.

I'm not sure, but I think that that is the heavily veined variety that tends to be very red.

Brooks gave me an S. Flava Rubricorpora from Liberty Co. last year and the pitchers were only about 8" tall but man were they RED!!! You have some great seedlings there! Good Luck!

i can alredy tell they are darker in color then the other 2. its almost startling!!
Alex

I look at my pot and I notice that I have... seeds

Oh, congrats!!!

BTW, Is it generaly all right to germinate sarracenia seeds in the winter? I've been thinking about germinating my seeds, but I'm not sure if I should wait untill spring

i sowed(after stratification) them a few weeks ago. id rather not put mine out until i know that we wont get a cold snap. zone 6 isnt very forgiving.... by the time i put them out in spring(or around that) they will be big enough to fend for themselves.
Alex

Ah you did it that way. I live in zone 8 so I am stratifying naturally.

:pics:

I'm trying an experiment. In December I started 13 plastic cups, filled partially with soil media, overfilled with water, in my cold attic, uncovered, by a window sill. The seeds are floating. Basically, I'm trying to duplicate what I think is happening in our SE - cold mud stratification, with the photoperiod and ebb & flow of temps dictating when they should germinate. So far... nothing phenomenal happening...

I know that it's a little early but.......got any pics?

yup. ill set em up tomarrow. all they are now is the big root...thing.
Alex

here they are! and the colors are just right.
Flava ver Rubricorpora
IMG_0411.jpg

Hybrid
IMG_0413.jpg

enjoy. the seedcoat should be shed off within the next day or so. they grow really fast!!
Alex

Well they do look like they're doing great.
What's that little metalic thing with the little ball on the top in the 1st pic? A thermometer

nah. just a marker. there are only 2 types in the nursery thing and they are easily ditinguished by the color so far.
Alex

Back