What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

a first time sarr growers worst nightmare

ok, i need some help and quick. this is the first time ive grown sarr's from seed and ive come against my worst nightmare, i was just inspecting my pot of Sarracenia flava and noticed it was infested with aphids! it seems to be cotained to the flava but their starting to spread to the purpurea, which is doing wonderfully and i dont want them to perish. so what do i do? if i am to use pesticides which brands are safe to use? please help before there all gone.

-thanks in advance, jon

are you sure they are aphids? i have springtails in my "pots" are they fast or really slow moving?
Alex

really slow moveing, when i poked them they dident appear to even care.

you can submerge it underwater or use pesticide. I use Schultz.

does the sumergeing really work? how long do you keep them under? and how about the brand bonide? anybody ever use that?

you can keep them under for a day, and hopefully the pests will be gone.

Submerge for at least 4 days. That will destroy the aphids. Chemically, use Orthene. It is systemic, becoming a part of the plant and kills aphids, mealybugs, whitefly, and a host of others, real quick. I prefer to use the Orthene personally. Follow any directions on the bottle. Spray the diluted concentrate with distilled water as its base.

I've had D. capensis, spatulata, and adelae infested with aphids, at one time or another. Never had to use chemicals. I just submerged them, anywhere from 2 days to a week. The aphids died and the plants all recovered, although they had that drowned rat look for several days.

NO drowned rat syndrome with Orthene. But Jim raises drowned rats!!!!!

....with dew!

really, up to a week? and it doesent damage the plant in anyway?

i know their use to being submerged ever once and awhile in the wild, i guess im just worrying if the leaves would start rotting.

Some plants can be found submerged for quite some time.

I just wouldn't submerge Mexi-pings. They don't like being drowned!

alright, cool, thanks, ill go do it now

Pretty much any insecticide containg pyrethrins will be effective.

Speaking of Pyrethrins, Crysanthemums (mums) are a natural source of Pyrethrum. Anybody try growing those plants amongst CP's?

Ummm... does accidentally count?

Lol, my mom bought all the mums homedepot had because they were on sale a few years ago and now we've got like 15 growing around the property and one is next to the bog. No aphids lol but that's probably a coincidence.

couldent do it yesterday cuase i notice that i needed bout 6 inch. of distilled water to submerge the plants and i only have bout 2 gallons so im going to have to get some today. unfortunately i noticed yesterday that not only my young sarr's infected but my Vft as well, so im going to have to submerge him too, is that ok?

If you have enough water to do, try submerging them. However, with many plants being affected, it might be wiser to go with an insecticide. The rough equivalent of the UK's Provado is a product by Bayer, found in Home Depot, Lowes..., that is broad spectrum. It's used for killing a multitude of insects on roses.

Back