What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Darlingtonia californica seedlings

I bought some Darlingtonia californica from a local botanical garden last spring, so i followed the directions but dident renember to take them out of their cold straticfication intill last fall. after bringing it out of the fridge i put it in a plastic bag with some water at the bottom (which i just transfered the pot to a saucer with a soda bottle top over it). While all the sarr pots ( 3 species, Purpurea, leucophylla, flava) all have grown to a pretty good size, the Darlingtonia seedlings (theirs bout 4 of them) havent really showed much activity, there still tiny, have i done something wrong or are they naturally slower growing then other Cp's?

-thanks , Jon

they are SUPER SLOWWWWWWWWWWW. look at I-peiras (is that your name?) post and it shows that after almost 4 months there were only 2 leaves....i think. just be patient.
Alex

alright, good 2 know

Yeah, slower growing than even S. purpurea.

they are SUPER SLOWWWWWWWWWWW. look at I-peiras (is that your name?) post and it shows that after almost 4 months there were only 2 leaves....i think. just be patient.
Alex

Almost that :jester:

Currently my oldest darlingtonia seedling (germinated in mid-october) currently has 2 leaves like the one in the latest pics, the 3rd should be appearing soon probably ;)

ya mine germinated in sept. and only had three leaves.

They're supposed to grow fastest in live Sphagnum.

well unfortunately i dont have access to great amounts of live sphagnum.

Or maybe. Duhh!!!! you are trying to grow them against their natural growth cycle.They are dormant during the winter and increase growth during the spring and summer. How long a photoperiod do you have them growing in.
Lois

well, i thought you werent suppose to put seedlings in dormancy for the first 2 years? as far as photoperiods go, its bout 14-16 hr. every day.

Darlingtonia californica don't make good terrarium plants, they like their roots kept cold. Maybe if you have a cold terrarium it might work. After germination the recommended procedure is to wean them to the ambient humidity and light conditions to where you will eventually grow them. Windowsills are supposed to work quite often.

ok, sounds good.

Back