What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My Cephs.

Yeah, those flowers are pretty anti-climatic. What do you have growing in that dome underneath the table?

xvart.

Yeah, those flowers are pretty anti-climatic. What do you have growing in that dome underneath the table?

xvart.
I think back then there was cephs and sundews under the dome.
Empty at the moment.
JMatt

WOW! Amazing plants and pics. Thanks for sharing JMatt, it has inspired me to take some pics of my little cephs. I would be very intereested inlearning more about your cultivation techniques (light, soil, fertlizing, etc.)

Steve

holy crap! these ones rock even more than the flytraps. HOLY SH**!!!! WOW THATS INSANE!!! PLEASE Share your master techniques. WOW!!!!

and one question!!! If your ceph pitcher starts to dry off ....do you leave it like that or do u cut it off to prevent rot??

Wow, it's been a while since i've heard from anyone about them.
Thanks for the compliments.
I usually remove anything that looks like it's turning yellow or dieing.
Sometimes there's dead pitchers in my tank that I don't get to for a while with no problem.
Keeping the crown of the plant dry is always good to do. They can go south on you real fast if you don't!
Things have been going pretty good and I need to update my pictures.

so basically u mean NEVER water a ceph from top....just use tray watering but allow tray to dry??? is this what u mean by keeping the crown dry???

Uhh... I don't know what he means. My Ceph hasn't had any peril with wet LSM which its roots should grow out of too, even the peat/perlite at the top is slightly damp. I'm going to let it dry out for 3 days now before adding anymore water since I'm a little worried!

I never water my Ceph from the top though.

I do water my potted plants from the top, usually watering around the plant rather than soaking everything. Misting is something you want to be careful of too when grown indoors.
Watering from the top and misting can be done, I just wouldn't make it a daily habit. There are times when I let my plants get a good soaking when it is raining outside, but I always make sure they dry for a couple days inside before watering again. Just keep a good eye on your plants, if you ever see pitchers and leaves that all of a sudden turn limp check the main growing point (crown). If it is limp too the entire plant is probably toast! Rot goes threw these plants like lightning. Every few months I do water my plants with tricherderma? Not sure of the spelling, but it's a beneficial fungus that is good to use with cephs.

If you create a mound such that the plant is on top of the mound, you can water from the top, but around the plant, so the crown is kept dry.

JMatt,
Great looking plants.

I have to be honest about my plants. I get the crowns wet ever time I water my plants. They fill the pot and are overflowing, making it impossible to not get the crowns wet when I water.

I water from the top, also. I flood the surface and let it soak in, then repeat until it starts running out the bottom and filling the tray. The entire plant gets wet. It's gone from one plant to three with a fourth one just starting (only 2 non-carn. leaves). It's the one you sent me Steve.

Steve,
Sound like you are treating it right.

Back