What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

HERE THEY COME!!!!!!!!!!!

First flowers for the season are making their way upward! SOO EARLY!! I love California for that fact alone, the extra long growing season. Anyone else, yet?

None here, but this will be my first year for a Sarracenia flower, I'll ask Jimmy if any of his are flowering.

...we have snow...and 9* temps WITHOUT windchill playing a role.... its great.
Alex

I've had flowers since December. Things have been waking up for a while here. That's either good or bad. Never really seems to hurt them though.

lol, new england, gotta love it. altohugh i shouldent complain because this year has been pretty mild for new england so far.

I'll be lucky if I see flowers in a month ...... :sleep: :angry:

My warehouse wonders have been shooting up phyllodia like crazy the past couple weeks. I just put them outdoors this weekend. The S. purpurea may actually have a few pitcher leaves growing. The warehouse wonder 'Cupped Trap' VFT that I picked up a few weeks ago is pushing up another flower stalk. I just clipped the one that it had when I bought it a couple weeks ago.

None of the Sarracenia divisions (greenhouse / outdoor grown in Northern/Central Calif) I just got are showing any obvious activity but at least the untrimmed portions of the leaves are still green so I guess they are still alive.

Temps have been in the high 70's the past few days in Los Angeles.

My 'Hummer's Hurricane' has been blooming since the end of January. My S. × excellens has sent up a bud and my wife's S. oreophylla × flava has sent up two buds. This is the first time I have actually had Sarracenia flower for me. :banana2:

It was 20 degrees today. All my Sarras are frozen. :eek:

I have 3 flowers coming!! Two on a "huricane creek white", and one on a "leah wilkerson". I cheated though. I was afraid to put them straight out into the winter weather here since they had been in a heated house for about a week. I was afraid their dormancy was already interupted. So after aquiring them and potting them up I put them in the GH instead of outside. So it coaxed them out early. The ones outside are still dorment.

You should make a cross and call it S. x 'super expensive' lmao

Okay, I looked again. The S. flava and the S. 'Tarnok' divisions appear to be showing some growth activity.

How do I distinguish a flower stalk from a leaf in the beginning stages? Both of these and my S. leucophylla divisions should be from mature plants.

It has a big bud on the tip... You see the bud before you see the stalk.

Yes Not a number you will definately see a difference. The leaves just look different. I hope someone can take a picture for you. I will nto have time for the next 3 days. between work and school.

Been seein' bud peeking on some of my plants for a month or so now. 'Fraid this new cold snap might frost them :(

The shoots look pretty much the same: either flat and hook shaped or cone shaped with a longish spindly point. Some are reddish, some are green, some are red and green.

Those sound like leaves NOT a number. You will definately see a bud popping out from the center of the crown. Last year was the first time I had flowers and you can definately see a different. Again I will try to get pictures for you on friday.

I have 6 blooms(leuco Tarnok) so far,temps dipping in the 20s.

Jerry

I think my S. 'Dana's Delight' is sending up a flower - there's a growth that looks like a tiny pink Brussels sprout maybe 1/4 inch across.

It looks like this.

purpflower2.jpg

-Ben

Back