What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Please define

flytraplady5

Hort. School dropout X 2
I have a S. rubra ancestoral form. The I see that someone on the list has one and its location is GA.
What exactly is this plant?
Lois

"There is a population of S. rubra in need of proper classification as a distinct subspecies in the sand hill seepage bogs at the fall line in central Georgia. The fall line is a transition zone characterized by a sharp drop in topography resulting in streams having falls. Many very rare plants are found in this habitat. In cultivation, the S. rubra plants from this location appear to be intermediate in form between S. rubra ssp. jonesii and S. rubra ssp. gulfensis. They have the growth habit and size of S. rubra ssp. jonesii without the distinctive taxonomic characters of that subspecies. The plants are currently nicknamed "Ancestral" because they are upstream from S. rubra ssp. gulfensis and thus potentially an ancestor of that subspecies. Based on this reasoning, Don Schnell considers the central Georgia population as S. rubra ssp. gulfensis until someone officially publishes a taxonomic description of it." - ICPS

Ancestral form gulfensis is thought to be an ancestor of S. rubra ssp. gulfensis. It grows farther north than ssp. gulfensis on the fall line in 3 counties in Georgia. Not taxonomically described yet, it has been given the name S. rubra ssp. gulfensis Ancestral form as it is thought to be closely related. It may just as well be a separate species, but I think only genetic testing could bring it all to light.

Thanx NON and Bug E weed
That helps a lot. so is this one of those plants that you can't sell or ship over state lines?
Thanx in advance.
Lois

No, it is not on Cites I that I know of. It can be sold or sent anywhere in the USA. Ancestral Form is really a nice looking plant. Wish they would look deeper into this one. Looks distinct from ssp. gulfensis, and ssp. jonesii to just maybe be a different species. Would LOVE to find out for sure.

Wish they would look deeper into this one. Looks distinct from ssp. gulfensis, and ssp. jonesii to just maybe be a different species. Would LOVE to find out for sure.

So get on it, Bug. Why couldn't that "they" be you?

because "they" is plural and Bugweed is singluar :) kidding.... it sounds like a cool looking plant but BobZ dosent have any photos of it.
alex

Guessing that I must learn to post picture on the intranet

Back