What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cephalotus - red spots on pitchers

Cindy

Staff member
Do the pitchers develop red spots which look like fungus patches as they age? ??? Or is it due to too high a humidity?

Here's a pic from Bacps.org which shows how the red patches look like.

Thanks. I'll put up a pic of my pitchers tomorrow.

The red patches are normal. The red color is usually enhanced by higher light levels. Some people grow them in high light to get the nice red colors, but then the pitchers are smaller. Others grow in less light, have green pitchers, and they grow larger.
Peter.

Here are the pics of different pitchers of the same plant. Please help me take a look if the pitchers are turning red or is it some sort of fungus. Thanks!

ceph_spot1.jpg

ceph_spot3.jpg

ceph_spot2.jpg

I am no expert, but those simply look like they are coloring with light intensity. I have been growing divisions of the same plant under different conditions and have seen the difference pingman mentioned above. I am currently trying to grow 1 under lower light for larger pitchers then plan on moving it to much higher light to see if I can get the red coloration on the large pitchers....yours look very healthy!

Steve

Cindy, your plant looks fine and very normal. Many feel it is very desirable to get a lot of red coloring in the pitchers!! The more light, the more red they will get.
If you start getting yellowing and then brown dead patches, then you need to start worrying!
Peter

Thanks, guys! I found it interesting that all of the pitchers are red at the bums but thought I had better ask and make sure. :boogie:

those red patches are the areas of digestive glands on the inside of the pitcher showing through.

however, if you get red spots on the outside which then develop a white coating that will be powdery mildew, which is related to high humidity. easily treatable with a specific fungicide

Thanks, gardenofeden. I'll keep an eye on them in any case. Cephalotus is hard to come by in Singapore and I have this plant for only a year plus.

Back