What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

cep leaf yellowing

i got a cep about 2~3week ago, and the new leaves

are turing yellow. whats happening?

It is definitely struggling. Yellow is a prelude to black. It may just be acclimating to its new environment and straighten out in time... or it may be too late. Can't tell. Are there any individual green, winter leaves. I would attempt to sprout any as backups. What are its growing conditions - media, lighting, temps, etc...?

i was growing it as a a windowsill plant, (savage garden)

growing in LFMS, bright light about 4~6 hours, temp about 60~70

im afraid that i'll shock it to death if i leave it outside.

It really needs to be outside, but acclimating it first is the way to do it, with regard to temp / light / humidity.

Could be the media, might be holding too much water Ceph's like to be well-drained.
I use Peat/Perlite/Sand being generous with the Perlite.
Sometimes raising the humidity helps hurt plants, like if you transplant. I do this by loosely placing Saran Wrap over the pot.
Is it close to the window?

quogue//
im using pure LFMS. im afraid i'll break the brittle roots.

hm..so i should put it outside? okay then

thanks!

It's going to get waterlogged and get root-rot in that mix, It's more important to repot than put outside.
I grow mine in tanks year-round to good effect, no worries of cold/hot snaps, racoons, pests and whatnot.
As long as you're gentle with repotting you should be alright.

Windowsill plant = watch out for drafts or radiators below windowsills. Both can do serious damage to plants.

4-6 h "bright" light: may not be enough light, depending on how "bright" bright is. You might want to supplement it fluorescent lighting.

LFS: I've never had luck with cephs in LFS. Too much moisture. Mine have done better on the drier side--barely moist mix of 1:1:1 peat:perlite:coarse silica sand.

Some pitcher/leaf die-back can be expected during the acclimatization period, but the whole plant shouldn't be turning yellow. Probably something's wrong.

Ken

hmmm....I got one probably a month and a half ago, have it in a north windowsill(pretty dark as plant growing goes, but it's pretty much my only option at this point). It just starting putting out new growth(winter leaves, first ones on my particular plant) and they look just dandy(as in, nice and green)......so....don't know what to tell ya.

okay! i just repotted my plant!

so..should i put it outside? or leave it inside?

i always open my window to let the cool air come in..

Ypu could do either, but I would put it outside until room temp roughly matches outside and you start out with it under a porch, so it doesn't get scorched.

Back