What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cephalotus

S

slau

Hi all. I wanted to share one of my juvenile cephalotus. He's really hardly as impressive as the mature ones going around the forum but I'm quite excited that he grows here in a really hot environment. 90+ all year round.

Here goes! And a red sphagnum moss guest stars!

very nice!
Peter

did you say he grows in 90+ degree weather?! I live in Houston but never considered putting my little guy outside...

That's a really beautiful plant. I was considering ordering a cephalotus online. Where did you get yours? :)

My ceph was at the top of my grow tank where the temps got up to 93 and it's fine. It's getting nice red color to it. The LFS is dried and not good looking. But I guess that's good seeing as they don't like to be too wet.

Here's a leaf sprout from last year:

IMG_0008.jpg

Thank you for stopping by to have a look everyone. I got this fellow from czplants. I mist the moss twice daily and water comes out the bottom of the pot. I wonder if its too wet to keep doing this?

based on my experience, sooner or later that much will cause you problems... make sure you have good drainage and airflow

it is easy to love a ceph to death LOL
Av

In addition to the drainage and air, it is good to mound up the pot, so it is highest in the middle, where the plant is.

this species doesnt seem to like it to wet or to dry......................my method is a large pot(my plant was only about 1.5 inches across when i put it in an 7 inch diameter/9 inch tall pot), mound the soil up, place Ceph in the center and keep it in a tray with 1/2 inch of water. soil-fairly airy mix, especially in the lower levels of the pot. it seems to be doing well.......ive kept this one alive far longer than the previous two i had, small pots gave me troubles as the soil was either to wet or to dry, constant just moist is easy to obtain in a larger pot

I still question the wet thing, I have one growing in a 9cm X 7cm(tall) container in live sphagnum. It sits constantly in 1-3 cm of water. It grows very well and now has many growth points. I think airy is the key.

Nice looking plant Slau! I may try one of mine outside in the shade for the summer to see how it does!

Thanks for the tips on the moss everyone. The moss is very precious in Singapore cause it's not supposed to be able to grow in our weather. And its difficult to import. So a part of me has been trying to keep the moss alive but I need to convince myself to sacrifice it if it is necessary to keep the cephalotuse alive.

My cephalotuses are getting overrun by the moss now. And the moss is in a battle with algae in the pot. It's a 3 way race and the cephalotus is at the bottom. Do you guys normally dig the moss off when it starts to overrun the ceph? Or leave it all alone?

Some of the cephalotus pitcher balls are turning green cause the moss is soaking off all the light now.

Slau,

I am no expert but IMHO i would immediately slow down on the overhead watering, that will have a big effect on the sphagnum growth... trim the sphagnum as much as possible then I would foliar feed with cotton swabs, (this will help slow any further algae growth resulting from spray foliar feeding and help the ceph's growth rate).... i use a weak orchid mix once or twice a month... I apply to the outside of the pitchers as well as the leaves.... about two weeks later you will notice a surge in growth

if that doesn't do it, then you will have to do something more intense

some of your sphag looks like S. squarrosum to me, probably one of the most adaptable and toughest varieties...really nice stuff but it will outgrow your ceph given half a chance

Av

comment: Slau, look at the ceph pics that have been posted lately... in most you will notice the sphag has brown or black tips... that is a result of not enough water for the sphagnum to continue to grow, puts the sphag in sort of a dormant condition it seems, alive but not actively growing.... but what works for one doesn't always work for another... cephs seem to have their own personalities sometimes

I try to keep the sphag tips black or brown not "dry and white" nor "green and growing"

cephalotus2.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the tip sir. I actually tried to take out the sphagnum to trim it back but it dug the cephalotus out with it. Not a very pleasant experience. I stuck em all back in now and now the waiting game sets in to see if my ceph lives or dies from being dug up. ;_;

Is anyone growing Cephalotus in a terrarium? If so how many hours of light are you giving it? thanks David

Where can I buy Cephalotus plants in a fairly mature size? David

DAvid...that ceph is insane. WOWW! beautiful little plant there. :)

Back