What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Darlingtonia pic

disco

aqua teen hunger force assemble!!
out of the three plants i bought at lowes ton
Mar02_06.jpg
ight the darlingtonia looks the best here it is

Woah, I wish my sarr looked like that. Although I got mine from HD. How big is that one pitcher? My largest is about 3 inches.

If your Sarracenia looked like that it wouldn't be a Sarracenia.

Good luck with that. Always croak for me.

Here's one from Lowes as well:

AF003601.jpg

Tony Paroubeck suggested repotting to suspend on top of a container and allow for drainage. So I put the pot on the edge of one the cube halves and treated it like a glorified hanging basket.

well actaully its a Darlingtonia (cobra lily) and it is probably about 7 inches tall it touches the top of the lid so i am going to have repot probably....and jim that is a very good method i used that exact same method last year for a few items i will try to get some better pics on here i know the quality was not that great and it might make it difficult to see....:D

Last edited by a moderator:
When I get my hands on some Darlingtonia I'm going to try a double pot method similar to the Slack method of Dewey Pine potting. I do have some Darlingtonia seed germinating but it will take a couple years before they are big enough to really enjoy.

My thoughts:

Terra-cotta pot with plants in LFS/perlite mix. This "planted" pot and all in a larger terra-cotta pot filled with either perlite, gravel, very coarse silica sand or lava rock. I may or may not plug the outer pot. There should be plenty of evaporative cooling to keep the roots cool. They're supposed to do well outdoors in the California coastal Mediterranean climate I live in.

Yo! I am up in Santa Maria and have mine outside planted in live sphagnum and in partial shade under a drip system using r/o water. I do not recycle this water but let it drip through into a collection basin that floods over onto concrete in order to help humify the air.
The plant was one of those throw-aways in those little bags that you may find at Home Depot (where I got mine). It was small but has really came along good.
Keeping the roots cool is mandatory. In their natural habitat water is always washing through their bogs. If you are having problems with keeping their roots cool I would recommend a drip system and refrigerating the water before adding it to the drip reservoir.
(my drip reservoir is one of those 2.5 gallon distilled water jugs found at the grocers that I pull the tap out just enough to get a drip every 3 seconds.)

Back