What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Year round Sarracenia growing---from seed!!!

Hmmm. Any thoughts on doing this with Dionaea? o_O

It's quite interesting this method I will like to try it... but it work it for Darlingtonia?

Last edited by a moderator:
What is needed for propagation outside what kind of success rate can we expect

I am germinating some seed and was curious about the cold stratificiation previous to germination. Can i put hte pot with the sewn seeds int he fridge with a bag over it and forget about it till the 4 weeks have gone by and then put it in the warm 24/7 light conditions? I have never germed my own sar's before :)

It's quite interesting this method I will like to try it... but it work it for Darlingtonia?

I have the same question. Has anyone tried this with Darlingtonia? Would love to know your experience.

I am germinating some seed and was curious about the cold stratificiation previous to germination. Can i put hte pot with the sewn seeds int he fridge with a bag over it and forget about it till the 4 weeks have gone by and then put it in the warm 24/7 light conditions? I have never germed my own sar's before :)

I'd spray them with some sort of fungicide so they dont mold but your method would definitely work.

Yup, watch the moisture buildup. And you may wanna wait a bit longer, I've gotten my best germination rates from 6 weeks of stratification rather than 4. I wait until after stratification to sow however. I place them with some chopped live sphagnum in a ziploc and then refrigerate that. Saves some room that way. Or you could wrap them in damp paper towels, or peat, or dead chopped LFS, etc. The ICPS guide to Sarr Seed Propogation is super helpful and can be found right here... http://www.carnivorousplants.org/howto/Propagation/SarraceniaSeed.php

Hope this helps a bit :D

huh, thats really interesting. 2 weeks is so short! I've always heard on the 4-6 week range. Based on the table, it's clearly dependant on where they live, which makes a lot of sense seeing that Newfoundland would definitely expect a colder/longer winter than Georgia or Florida. Thanks NaN, I'll definitely try and use those time periods this year to see how much success they bring!

Hi, I use 2 weeks with flava and alata and I have a very good rate of germination.

I will use this table :D

Thanks for the info :)

Hi, I use 2 weeks with flava and alata and I have a very good rate of germination.

I will use this table :D

Thanks for the info :)

Interesting. Thanks for sharing your feedback.

I would still love to know if this works with Darlingtonia. Has anyone tried with Darlingtonia?

I listen that: If the darlingtonia seeds are very fresh, they dont need stratification.
If they arent freshly, need a cold stratification.
I havent got germination of darlingtonia :(! jaja
regards

I have some Sarracenias getting ready to flower for the first time, and I was planning on producing some seeds. I have a nice shelving unit that I can use for germinating and growing them out for the first two seasons. The footprint of each shelf is 48" x 24". I'm in the aquarium biz and have lots of used lighting at my disposal, and was wondering how much light would be required to adequately light that area? I realize that more is better, but my electric bill is high enough already from all of my aquaria! I would probably go with 48" T5HOs. I have a few 2 bulb retrofit kits with top quality individual reflectors, and was wondering how many I would need to use. Thanks!

Can anyone speak to the best way to transition the plants from the 24/7 grow light setup to outdoor growing? What time of the year is best? Naturally, they will need acclimated to the new light level, but I am more concerned about the time of the year. I'm planning on trying this process this spring and was curious as to how to eventually transition them to outdoor growing.

Thanks!

Cole

I know this is an old thread but will try asking anyway, how long do you use the heat mat? Just until the seeds sprout or for the whole two years?

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Back