What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Darlingtonia germination!

Not a Number

Hello, I must be going...
Staff member
Seeds were sown 2/18/07, stratified in pinches of live Sphagnum moss, sown on LFS/perlite mix.

Several Darlingtonia californica seeds have sprouted including 1 or 2 of the 'Othello' cultivar (anthocyanin-free form).

I have another batch of 'Othello' stratifying (only 6 in the first batch), about another week to go.

Good growing! I"ve attempted germination a couple of times and git only one seedling. How did you stratify them?

I stratified them in a few pinches of finely chopped damp live sphagnum moss in plastic bags. I might have had a little bit too much water because a couple of the 'Othello' seeds turned blackish after I sowed them.

I just spread the chopped sphagnum and seeds on top of LFS/perlite mix and put those pots into plastic bags. Pots & bags are in a seed tray with tall humidity dome (to better control temps). I just placed a heating pad under the tray a few days ago after Bugweed revealed his secrets. This all gets indirect western exposure sunlight near a bright windowsill but I added lights over it at the same time as the pad.

WOOO HOOOO.
I am so excited.
I have Othella's sprouting also. they are too small to count how many made it. I planted them on 3/10/07 after 4 weeks stratification.
Lois

Are those 'Othello' x ? or 'Othello' x 'Othello'? Barry sent out batches of both and is interested in any reports of redness particularly in the 'Othello' x 'Othello'

Unfortunately only one of the 'O' x 'O' seeds I have sprouted. I had just sown a batch of 'O' x ? a week and a half ago. I can't wait to see if any of those germinate too.

My regular Darlingtonia sprouts have gotten to about 0.5 inches tall and some still haven't shed the seed coat.

Well some of each are sprouting.
okay, this is the first day that I noticed them. they may have been out for a couple of days. Guess i have reached critical mass as far as plants are concerned .
Lois

I just looked at my 'Othello' x ? pot and some have sprouted. From the looks of them it may have been a couple days ago. I haven't been checking it daily because I wasn't expecting them to sprout so soon!

Well, both "othellas' have germinated before the other darlingtonia seeds that I planted at the same time.
The other seeds from Oregon, near Gasquet in CA and my own seeds are jest sitting there.
Lois

The californica seeds I planted the same day as the 'Othello' x 'Othello' sprouted around the same time . The first pitcher leaf has developed on the californica. I guess I'll have to setup the camera tomorrow. Some of my Sarracenia germinations are putting out pitcher leaves too.

Darlingtonia californica seedlings

07 Mar 2007
04380006.jpg

04380008.jpg

10 Mar 2007
04380016.jpg

04380019.jpg

24 Mar 2007
04390004.jpg

04390005.jpg

06 Apr 2007 - first pitcher leaf
04360026.jpg

'Othello' seedling

07 Mar 2007 - the second seed looked like it was going to sprout. It did not :(
04380010.jpg

04380011.jpg

24 Mar 2007
04390002.jpg

04390001.jpg

06 Apr 2007
04360025.jpg

How are the seeds?

Man! What is it with you and thread necromancy?

A bad thing?

Bringing up threads from 4 years ago can be annoying for some people.

Ok sorry...

Why is this annoying? Don't we all like to see progression? I know I do. :)

I agree fully Fred, people like to say it's called the search function, sometimes people like to bring it back up to see progress, there is nothing wrong with it, and nothing that deserves trolling or flaming.

Amen to that brother!!

amen to that!

Back