What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

old sar growth

what shall I do? cut it off or let it go? its over two years old and I am concerned about it impairing the plant's potential growth. its s. purpurea (sp) been a LONG time since I posted.

You are concerned about the new crown (which is two years old) impairing the other's growth? Or are you concerned that cutting it would impair the plants growth (which is two years old)?

I don't cut any of my plants untill i've got over 3 mature crowns.

See this thread in regards S. purpurea leaf trimming.

Generally you want to have some leaves on the plant to supply photosynthesis. Once the new leaves are developed you can either do nothing about the old leaves, wait for them to brown and trim them off, or slowly trim them off as new leaves come in. Some people trim all the old leaves off once new growth is established. In nature wildfires usually takes care of the old leaves.

Trimming them off should not affect the growth of the plant unless you trim them too early (e.g. no new leaves to supply photosynthesis).

Back