What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Sarr question.

3-14-07%20008.jpg

When could I expect this large, healthy flava to start pitchering?

- Rob

In just a week or two it should start making a flower and pitchers!

It depends on where you live and where the plant was growing before. How old is the plant? If it's 3+ years it will probably flower before sending up pitchers.

Sarracenia take under normal circumstances at least 5 to 7 years to mature. When it will decide to grow is up to the plant and when it feels warm enough to take its first peek of the season. NO ONE can tell you when it will start. Plants, like people have a mind of their own.

Thanks guys. Exactly what I needed to hear.

My experience with Sarr's is limited to the wild minor that grows in my hometown. I never paid too much attention to what new leaves looked like, so....

The growing points are the pointy parts (sort of triangular-cone shaped) on the rhizome. The crown is formed by the bases of the leaves and or growth points. The flower buds and stalks form in the middle of the growth points and look like a tiny cabbage or brussel sprout. New leaves start out like threads or ribbons from the points. On all my Sarrs these start off reddish but I don't have that many species or have been growing them long enough to say that this is always the case. I suspect not.

They actually are red more often than not; I beleive it has to do with the kind of wavelengths of light being absorbed to fuel growth.

I have only had success with purpurea .:-(

I have only had success with purea.:-(
I believe, after some searching on the web, that "purea" is Italian for "puree" which is what you have after running something through a blender until it is of a smooth consistancy. Why are you doing this to your plants?

New sarracenia shoots are narrow and grass like, before they beefen up.

They start off red as they leave the rhizome (you can see them in the bottom right in the photo), then turn orangey-green (as with the larger shoots below) and become green as they near maturity.

2.jpg

I believe, after some searching on the web, that "purea" is Italian for "puree" which is what you have after running something through a blender until it is of a smooth consistancy. Why are you doing this to your plants?

or... he could be talking about S. purPUREA.
Alex

Ya never know..... ;) :devil:

I think a long time ago someone had the idea of blending rhizomes or leaves or something but I can't remember what came of it. Probably nothing.

OR that might have been mushrooms (Not REAL mushrooms, but polyps) I was thinking of.

Are you sure it wasn't a blend to make a medium?

No I really remember someone talking about blending rhizomes (or polyps) that way.

I'll look for it later. I'm sure it wasn't practical otherwise we'd all do it.

Back