What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Just How Dangerous Is Mold?

Cynic81

Frakkin Toaster
Okay, a month ago I put my dormant plants (all sarracenia), which I had been letting ride out the winter outside, into the fridge to wait out a very deep cold snap. I checked on them for mold until work caught up with me and I check on them again for about 2 weeks :blush:. I brought them out of stasis this week to find most had a substantial layering of greyish-white mold on them. Roots were all fine and the rhizomes were still firm, but I'm wondering what to expect in terms of post-dormancy recovery. Will they be okay, or is there going to be longer-term damage? Plants have been placed in a mix of 1:1 shredded sphag/perlite and are all outdoors on the tray system.

My other big concern is a small Judith Hindle that was exposed to similar conditions. A lot of the roots fell off dead, though the small rhizome seems okay and a few small roots appear to still be alive. I planted it in hopes it'll hang on, but as above I have no idea what to expect in terms of the lethality of mold.

Oh sweet Jesus not mold.... no.... no...

Seriously I spray plants with a fungicide before they enter dormancy just in case. If the tissue is firm and has good color, etc. then they are fine. Spray with a fungicide.

Your 'Judith Hindle' will be just fine. These plants are VERY hardy.

Don't worry, I DID pretreat with fungicide and sprayed them like crazy when I pulled them out. The rhizomes also seem to have good color, though the top of the S. leuco rhizome seems somewhat white (it persists even after spraying w/ fungicide and was present even before dormancy). I'm especially paranoid about the hindle as I lost one to rot in the great die-off last summer. Also the new leaves that were growing prior to dormancy have started going black at the tip and the older leaves are kind of shriveled. I just don't think my collection can take another mass die off... >_<

You might have caught them just in time. As long as they're firm and healthy, they should be ok. Just make sure you give them a good wash.

You might have caught them just in time. As long as they're firm and healthy, they should be ok. Just make sure you give them a good wash.

I agree with this one... Sars are pretty tough little buggers.. wash the mold off the pots and you should be fine.

Good Luck
Steve

Back