What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sarracenia ? about putting back into dormancy

I just received 4 Sarracenia from california. They are out of dormancy and starting to grow.
I live in Maine and all my plants are still in dormancy. Can I put my new sarras out on my unheated porch where they will be in temps from 30 at night to 60 during the day without harming them? I don't have a sunny enough spot inside to put them.
Thanks,
Zero

I would think so, as long as the difference between what they were in and what they will experience, relative to how strong they are at the moment, doesn't set them over the edge. but yeah, under normal circumstances, that is within what they would tolerate.

I agree with Jim, I would think the photoperiod at this point would be more important than temps.

Here in Los Angeles the night time temps have been going from the low/mid 60s to high/mid 30s some weeks. It doesn't seem to have affected my Sarrs or VFTs. Most of my Sarr divisions are from California too. They started growing in late Feb.

The colder temps might slow them down a bit, but I don't think they'll go dormant again. You might lose some of the new leaves if it gets really cold but those will get replaced soon enough.

ok, so I will risk putting them outside.
I hope they don't die on me.

No they wont, dont worry. :)

Photoperiod is the most important factor, let me explain:

Last month I was reppoting my Temperate Pings. One of them, vallisneriifolia, had a small bulb deep underground. The moss covered the top of the pot by a few cm, so much so that no light at all could reach it.

I uncovered it, reppoted it, and I did the same with my other Temperates.

The next day, the vallisneriifolia started to wake up. All the others took as long as 2 weeks to finnaly start waking up-this was the Ping which got no light at all and thens tarted getting lots of light suddenly.(They were all moved from partial sun to full sun and warmer temperatures inside the greenhouse)

So dont worry, it wont die. :)

Back