What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

In the next couple days my set-up will be done and I am moving all my plants. They will be under 130 watts of very bright light in a mini greenhouse in the basement. This set-up is for my highland neps. I don't know yet how high the temps will be under the lights but right now the temp stays in the 40-60 range. I will have a humidifier running at night while the lights are off and enough during the day to keep it a good level. Maybe have it run for half an hour every like two hours or so. I'm also going to have a small fan for ventilation. Like I said this is going to mainly be for my highland neps. But I also want to take advantage of all this light for my ceph, d. capensis, d. falconeri, d. capillaris, d. capensis, d. adelae, and d. spatulata. I will post this also in the sundew area just to catch everyone. I reall don't want to have more this running but not killing my plants is a big thing to me. My ceph has really taken off the past couple weeks by getting really deep red and growing larger pitchers. One pitcher is even open. Thanks for helping me out.

Sorry, I'm a slow person.

Is your Ceph currently in the Highland conditions?

You know what, if your Ceph is prospering the way you have it now, and you only have one. LEAVE. IT.

If you have a test subject, like an established cutting, you could try it out.

Like I said, I'm probably wrong since I am a slow person, so correct me on anything.

Right now I would say I have it in lowland conditions. It's pretty close to the lights so I would say high 80's to low 90's. When the lights go off it gets down to about 77 or room temp. Humidity is always pretty high. I water it every couple days but when I water I also mist the whole tank. I have the tank on it's side but I have foil over the opening. I'll open it up for a couple hours to maybe get some airflow in. That's about it. Oh yeah since I have about 3 rows the ceph is on the outside row closer to the opening. The side that is on the inside is the one with the deep red and larger pitchers. The picters on the outside side are still smaller and green.

With the temps you posted you might have a problem with the D. falconeri.

I kinda thought I would with that one. It really likes it hot don't it?

I know some growers that keep them high 90's to low 100's year round.

I have mine raised up close to the lights for the added heat. It hits the low to mid 90's. It was doing very well like this. The plant divided and had 2 growing points. I divided the plant, and after words it did well for a while, but has since hardly put out any leaves, they are small, and it basically looks dead and brown. I'm hoping it is just dormant and will start to grow again.
The second plant from the division never looked good after words. It turned brown and did not grow any leaves. It was like this for a few months. It has just started to grow leaves in the last few weeks. I hope the mother plant will start soon as well.

Mine is right now pretty close to the lights and it's about 93. It has gotten really red and it looks like it's starting to make some dew.

I guess the thing I'm most worried about is the ceph. Will lower temps at night hurt it?

I doubt it. Cephs don't need it really hot. If the temps are 60 or above, it's probably fine. 50's can get iffy though, I do NOT recommend any in the 50's, 60's are fine.

I think your ceph will slow down a bit in growth.
I have a bunch a cephs over wintering in my basement now. I think it's gotten down to 45 at times. They are all alive, but dormant. No growth all winter. I ran out of space and had to put them down there. The plants that I have up stairs did great all winter at 65 to 75.
JMatt

http://www.aqph26.dsl.pipex.com/cephalotusfollip.html

This says they can take lower temps at night. If the temp goes down into the 40's at the lowest every night up back up when the lights are on will it go dorment? Maybe it would be good though if they go dorment. I found a site that says that when they come out they should have larger traps.

It might also be a little warmer after the lights go off due to the greenhouse cover so it might not drop that low.

I get the impression that Cephs naturally experience the full range of seasons, including temps and photoperiod. If there isn't enought variation it may not recognize a winter period and may not produce winter leaves.

Steve: Here's the survivor leaf:

IMG_4309.jpg

IMG_0156.jpg

jimscott, what did you do to that poor plant? :0o:

It looked so much better when I gave you the plant years ago, and that's all the better it looks now. :thumbdown:

Just messing with you :poke:

When you coming down for a visit, it's been a long time?

Back