What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My Ceph is turning yellow!

NeciFiX

Kung Fu Fighting!
Ah! What the heck!

The bottom of my Ceph caved in due to too many bugs and water or something, but the pitcher is unable to catch bugs (only the bottom is damaged, you can't see it as the bottom is laying on the green sphagnum, which is nice.). The largest pitcher is turning yellow! First it went from bright pink with a yellow hood to yellow, pitch yellow. This things a yella bellied hick! It still has a few splotches of pink. There is no infestation, the hood is still wide open, but, it's pure yellow! I've never seen this before, I researched my bottom off trying to find any clues to what this is and... nothing!

Even the little 'tendril' or connecter to the pitcher exhibits this colouration.

Since this pitcher is useless, could I use a shallow pot full of sphagnum moss to take this large pitcher off (well, it's the largest so far, another is almost done forming, the hood is slowly opening, they are roughly the same size). You know the markings on the hood of the pitcher? This is almost a brownish with a tint of red, and it seems 'foggy' yellow.

...I wonder if taking this pitcher off and trying to root it would result in an all yellow variety... haha, yeah right.

Since the pitcher is not dead (the only dead part is some parts of the bottom, but it hasn't spread or anything) could I take the pitcher off (would this stunt its growth?) and put it in wet LSM? It still has multiple pitchers, and I'd like a second plant maybe.

No other pitcher exhibits this, a few have tiny pink splotches, but mainly remain green with a slight red on them. What happened first was the entire pitcher coloured up red nicely, then turned to hot pink with a yellow lid, then turned completely yellow. It's happened very quickly.

Can you help?!

I dunno I thought yellow on any plants is not a good thing. What are your conditions?

Ceph pitchers do die off naturally, and often change colour as they mature and then die. I've seen plenty go yellow, and white in the areas where the pitchers are covered by other pitchers.

But we've told you many times at CPUK - no need to fuss!!!

So you just cut them off when they go yellow or is there still time to keep them before they die?

I tend to pinch them off the plant when they are dry and brown. If they are yellowish I tend to leave them.

I do the same thing.. sometimes I'll cut one if it's going and it looks like the new traps growing in might get squished from the old one.
Otherwise, I do the same thing as Alexis.

This is where I chime in and suggest salvaging any winter leaves it might have and try sprouting them. It worked for me with that "sudden death syndrome" thing:

IMG_4309.jpg

IMG_0156.jpg

mine died looking like that. only it didn't had pink dots

Back