What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Phil that is an excellent post and one that certainly helps. Im lucky in that I have time, I hope, on my side being only 19. I also have a decent amount of space to grow on seedlings.

Growing plants is rewarding enough, but having a goal to achieve makes it even more exciting in my opinion. It would be great to have a plant that truly has unique characteristics.

I know what you mean about some people not putting much thought into crossing there plants. Some hybrids that pop up are terrible and wonder why they were not binned. I plan to be hard and hopefully only keep 5 - 10 plants from any one cross to flowering size. I have been told some plants can time to develop hidden traits. Would you agree with this ?

Once you have found you 'Keeper' flava, leuco etc etc, do you then get rid of your original stock to make room for more plants in the future ? Do they still have a use ?

I still think / hope I will keep things on the simpler side. I feel its better to produce quality plants rather than cross everything and anything together hoping I will get lucky.

Speak soon & feel free to post any more helpful info, im sure its not just me benefiting from this great info.

Joel

Phil is a very patient man to make and select his own crosses. I'd never cut it in that area of cultivation lol.

I'd never be able to reject anything either lol. They are all pretty to me, well most of them at least :)

Phil that is an excellent post and one that certainly helps.
Thank you. I'm happy to be of assistance.
Im lucky in that I have time, I hope, on my side being only 19. I also have a decent amount of space to grow on seedlings.
You are indeed very fortunate to have time and space on your side Joel. Good for you!
Growing plants is rewarding enough, but having a goal to achieve makes it even more exciting in my opinion. It would be great to have a plant that truly has unique characteristics.
I couldn't have said it better myself. You will definitely get some good results with the plants you have listed.

I know what you mean about some people not putting much thought into crossing there plants. Some hybrids that pop up are terrible and wonder why they were not binned.
I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
I have been told some plants can time to develop hidden traits. Would you agree with this ?
Yes,completely. Anything involving S. flava, S. leuco. or S' oreophila needs several good years of hard growing to reach full potential.
Once you have found you 'Keeper' flava, leuco etc etc, do you then get rid of your original stock to make room for more plants in the future ? Do they still have a use ?
Due to sentimental reasons, I try to keep at least one division of all breeding stock. It also helps when lecturing as you can show your audience what the babies look like when using good parents and then what the babies from the same type of cross look like using superior parents.

I feel its better to produce quality plants rather than cross everything and anything together hoping I will get lucky.
Spoken like a true professional! I just wish other breeders felt this way.

Speak soon & feel free to post any more helpful info, im sure its not just me benefiting from this great info.
Thanks for the kind words Joel. I'll do my best to help when I can. This is a subject I am very passionate about.

Phil

I know what you mean about some people not putting much thought into crossing there plants. Some hybrids that pop up are terrible and wonder why they were not binned. I plan to be hard and hopefully only keep 5 - 10 plants from any one cross to flowering size. I have been told some plants can time to develop hidden traits. Would you agree with this ?

LOL. I find it hard to bin any plants personally! Good luck with your seedlings - I usually manage to get 1-5 plants to adulthood from sowing 30-40 seeds. Unfortunately fungus always takes a large proportion for me, but as compensation some crosses do manage to get to adulthood very quickly :-))

Back