What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The most beautiful Sarracenia!

NeciFiX

Kung Fu Fighting!
I just saw pictures of S. 'Adrian Slack' and S. 'Leah Wilkerson'. My heart skipped a few beats! One of the S. 'Leah Wilkerson' pitchers found in the wild was 4 feet 2 inches tall! S. 'Adrian Slack' needs to enter cultivation soon, and Leah Wilkerson needs to become more widely available and not sell at a ridiculous 100+$!

What, in your opinion, is the most beautiful North American Pitcher Plant?

As far as the general features of a species goes, I think it might be one of the rubra group for me... hard to say which one though. I'm also very fond of Sarracenia minor - I think the hoods look kind of like little smiley faces. 'Leah Wilkerson' is by far my favorite cultivar so far, with 'Hummer's Hammerhead' a close second. S. x. catesbaei is a nice one, and I believe it's a naturally occuring hybrid as well.
~Joe

Law of supply and demand says that if people are willing to pay $100 then the price is just fine. And there are pleanty of people who do pay that and think it a bargain. ANd just a small note, if you think $100 is expensive then do yourself a favor and never never check Phil Sheridan's site...

As for 'Adrian Slack', it is in cultivation and has been for some time. Rumor has it that it is a slow grower and not a prolific divider so the lag phase has been a long one.

While it's very hard for me to pick favorites amongst Sarracenia, I think the most beautiful (species not hybrids) come from either leucophylla or flava. There is so much variety in these two species. I love all of them equally though. And hybrids...oh man the hybrids.

Flava is the best species because it's so... imposing is a good word.

Leah and Adrian are the best cultivars, I agree.

I'd have to go with S. rubra ssp. wherryi, well for now at least.
and because I don't own any 'fancy cultivars' I'll just have to go with S. psittacina x leucophylla. It's sooooo beautiful whenever there's a bunch of them.

hmmm. leucophylla and minor are the best in my opinion. their hybrid S. x excellens is probably the best simple hybrid! right now its on the top of my list for getting. i have S. leuco right now and i will be getting S. minor soon. once they flower ill be making this hybrid! the best cultivar (like everyone else said) is S. 'Leah Wilkerson'
Alex

No way Jose! S. x moorei is the best simple cross!

There should be a complex cross that covers every species. It would be kind of ugly but it would be neat for novelty's sake.

Flava var. rugelli is probably my absolutely most favorite Sarracenia.

I have a special fondness for 'Leah Wilkerson.' "Wilkerson's Red" makes my heart sing as do most any red Sarracenia. Straight species, it would have to be flava rubricorpora with a yellow lid, like the acres of them in the Apalachicola National Forest. Natural crosses, it would have to be mooreis hands down of which 'Leah' and 'AS' fall into. I recieved an 'AS' last year. It pouted all summer and did very little. At present, it is putting up several strong pitchers, no flower and, no divisions. What makes 'Leah' special is the fact that it could be TCed. Flavas are notorious for not having clean cultures so any cross with flavas proves to be very difficult to TC (ie 'AS' or any moorei for that fact) I understand that 'AS' (is a naturally occuring moorei) has been tried but has been unsuccessful. 'Leah' was TCed and is in process now. Besides, 'Leah' is a strong grower and rapid multiplier. many people have 'Leah' all over the world so it show be a short time before it is easily available. As far as named cultivars go 'Juduthip Soper' is nice, 'Cobra nest' (there we go again with those red ones!) 'Bug Bat' and 'Frog Man."

I think that it is entirely too hard to narrow it down to one Sarracenia, for me anyway! Mooreis are great and I too have a fondness for 'Leah Wilkerson' but one that hasn't been mentioned yet that is one of my favorites is 'Bud Wilkerson' and that may be because there aren't many pics of it out there. I will be sure to post one later when mine opens. Kimber Red Ruffles is another that is on my favorites list. Moorei Big Red is another great Moorei, tall and red too Brooks! Cleopatra's Demise, The Brute, and Readii Alabama Red from Sunbelle are others that I love! Too many for me to list but that is a few at the top for me!

Man I wish there were pictures to go along with this thread... lol. My favorite species is leucophylla.

xvart.

I also think a beautiful species or actually, variety of a species is S. leucophylla 'hot pink'

Oh my God!

This is absolutely beautiful!

Beautiful Sarracenia! I believe it is S. moorei x leucophylla?

Turns out its for sale on Cooks Carnivorous Plants, but their plant looks far different! Oh well.

I got your PM Necifix :-O

That moorei x leucophylla was one of my first plants grown from seed, so thanks for the comment. That particular plant isn't at Cook's, but he probably has the same cross for sale.

Back