What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is this a D. californica seedling?

I planted some D. californica seeds, and went away for a week; when I came back, this plant had sprouted. It's now been 2 weeks since I first saw the little plant. It is a little less than 2.5 cm (1 inch) long.

The fastest I've had CP seeds sprout is 2 and a half weeks, so that's what makes me doubt the most. I'd like it if anyone could help me on this subject... sorry for the bad pictures...

That looks like a lettuce sprout of some sort. Perhaps a dandelion. Darlingtonia require cold stratification and several weeks of time to germinate - you've still got some time for cobras.
~Joe

To me, it looks just like a stray weed, because of the shape of the true leaves that have popped out. I've never grown Darlingtonia from seed, but I'm pretty sure that the true leaves coming outta the seed leaves would be pitcher-like.

Arrg, ninja-man...

-Ben

It's what I feared it would be. Thanks for the help.

It doesn't look like any kind of pitchering cp I've ever seen. Yeah, look out for those instantaneous weeds.

Darlingtonia seed coats are very distinctive. They would still be attached to a cotyledon or nearby on the medium.

See this thread and this one for Darlingtonia seedling photos.

The first two batches of Darlingtonia seed I planted took about 17 days to sprout. The third batch I planted about a month later took around 11 days.

Good luck growing Darlingtonia in Colombia. You might succeed if you live at a fairly high altitude. I know Bogota is mountainous.

Yeah, Bogota is quite high, and therefore quite cold. I've heard having cold nights helps succeed at growing Darlingtonias, so i'm off to a good start (providing they do germinate).
Thanks all for the help.

Back