What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My first Hummer

Well here it is now. I can't tell if the growth point is fried and crispy or if that's healthy hairy nubbins. I think it's healthy but I'm not that experienced with 'em. I think I burnt it a little with the light but it looks OK.

DSC01907.jpg

Taking out the three babies really trimmed it down huh? lol. They all croaked. Mold I guess. I'm really surprised that ping is growing in straight clay pebbles, too. It's not very moist. Notice the little "horned" leaf in the upper right, beside the proto pitcher.

Are there two growth points, or does it just branch behind that pitcher?

xvart.

edit: What's your potting mix?

That's just a weird angle I took the pic at. There are 4 or 5 points/plants there.

It's... lets see if I can remember lol. I think it's 2 parts perlite, 1 part peat, and baked clay pebbles (Schultz' aquatic plant soil) on top. It does a great job of wicking away excess moisture from the crowns, which is a big help since my terrarium is at 90-95% humidity all the time.

The plant is planted on a "mound" like in the first set of pics, then I just filled it in with the clay. It's in a tall clay pot in a little... like a shallow bowl of water.

Good idea with the pellets. Thanks for that web link the other day, too.

xvart.

Yeah they are GREAT for Pinguicula media!

Clint,

here is my new hummer, it was a massive clump, but too massive. It beat itself to death during shipment, it was like a ball of dough in between two glasses. There was about 20 traps that were tore loose and crushed and the main rhizome was broke in two... but i am not complaining at all :hail: tickled pink actually :-D

just going to take a bit to get it back to that :)

hummers.jpg

there are a few more survivors in another container

Ooch. Well if they do all die, which I doubt it, let me know and you can have one of mine.

oh they'll be just fine :)

just need a little TLC is all, and I must say it was not preventable, it was packaged as well as anyone could have done and better then most would have done, just Newtonian physics at work, gotta luv Issac

just one of them things that occasionally happens, but instead of the one big clump I will have many baby hummers and I like the sound of that just as much

:)

it will be interesting to compare their progress :beer:

Av

Very nice... Thanks for sharing

Man, Was the box crushed when you got it?
Did the mailman use it as a seat cushin?
I guess sh happens sometimes.
Keep me updated. If they go south let me know.
JMatt

Jeff,

no worries, they will be just fine...

I really appreciate the trade, and with that surprise you tossed in.... sheesh I'm very happy with it all, it was just one of them things mate

besides it was USPS not you, and no the box looked fine LOL

"shaken baby syndrome" LOL

Butch :)

recovery

well it has been several months.... all is well, the hummer I got when clint got his has recovered...

initially
hummers.jpg

today, after a little tlc and ancient family secrets ;)
hummerupdate3.jpg

and a clump of typicals..
cephalotusupdate.jpg

Av

Wow yours is doing much better than mine! Must be that special secret.

well ive preached about it so much that im just biting my tongue anymore...

:)

Back