What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need advice on S. flava problem

Hey,

I got this S. flava "red tube" last year and this spring I've been running into some problems with it. During "winter" it started growing a new point on the rhizome. About a month ago this point went brown and died, not sure why but I figured since its original point was fine it wasn't that much of a problem.

Today I noticed that what would have eventually been the second pitcher has started to go brown. Its in the process of putting out its first pitcher of the season(late compared to all my other Sarracenia which are in full growth already..).

frt2.jpg

In this picture the red circle indicates that growing point that turned brown out of nowhere, I already pulled most of the dead stuff off.

The blue circle indicates another part(what would be the second pitcher) starting to go brown.

frt1.jpg

The pitcher its developing right now seems fine but All this growth going brown has got me worried. Any ideas on what it could be or should I just wait it out?

they start out brown for mine. they get their color as they grow out. it seems as though you would notice the different with all the sarrs you have...with that said it may be somthing else....
Alex

Hard to tell, but it looks like it may have rotted. If the surrounding area spongy, or is it stiff like the rest of the rhizome? It's possible that there was some rot if the rhizome stayed persistantly waterlogged or remained in stagnant water for a prolonged period.

Sound possible?

A couple days ago the growth in the blue circle was as green as the pitcher.

As for the rhizome, the entire thing is stiff, not a spongy spot on it. I don't keep them very wet during winter, even now I fill the tray to about 1/4 an inch and let it go dry for a day.

Maybe it's too dry. Once my Sarrs start growing I top water to keep the tray levels up high. Top watering aerates the roots and helps flush mineral build up. One of my S. leucophylla points /crowns dried out brown, but then started a new growing point next to it.

Back