What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hybrids and Digestive Enzymes

NeciFiX

Kung Fu Fighting!
Okay, this one has been bugging me so much I had to crawl out of bed at 3 AM with strep throat to get it off my chest. Heres the question: Do hybrids containing S. purpurea not produce digestive enzymes since S. purpurea does not? For instance...

S. purpurea x flava, since S. purpurea is involved (and, in this case, the mother parent) does the plant not produce digestive enzymes? I know it doesn't really matter, but I am just curious. And for some reasons, plants that seem to 'do it on their own' are more favourable to me, since I see it is as the edwardsi or whatever they are called larvae don't live near me. My concern on this is that my S. courtii var. heterophylla has S. purpurea ssp. purpurea x S. psittacina in it, yet, can it digest it's own prey since S. psittacina can?

Thanks!

~NeciFiX

Sarracenia purpurea and Darlingtonia californica rely on bacteria as well as other commensal organisms to aid in digestion.

The laws of genetics in a simple cross would predict roughly 25% of the offspring would have the traits of one parent, 25% the traits of the other parent and roughly 50% with traits of both parents.

*is a slow person* So, is that a yes? :poke:

I remember drawing out those Mendel boxes. It got tricky once you get into 10 x 10 diagrams.

I think that's a 25% hypothetical yes.

o_o... *strains insignificant brainpower and concentrates on the percents due to absolutely sucking at Math past 3rd grade* AH! But, only a 25% chance? Jeeze. Well, I guess my plant won't be digesting anything soon.

It doesn't matter really. I mean.. It's still carnivorous if that's what you are worried about. I'm sure it produces some enzymes.

Why digest something yourself if someone else will do it for you? That's kind of how S. purpurea is, if it could think.

S. purpurea does produce digestive enzymes...just such a small amount that it wouldnt make much of a difference.
Alex

I know, but what if the certain Metricoanemous edwardsi or whatever it's called bacteria doesn't live near me to get inside the pitchers?

Oh in that case you're just screwed man.

Bacteria live everywhere. EVERYWHERE. Where there are rotting bugs there is most certainly bacteria. Don't worry about a specific species. You worry too much.

I think my mom has OCD or some sort of anxiety disorder. So, based on that observation, it might be genetic. Damn.

Bacteria lives everywhere. EVERYWHERE
on your skin..in your hair...flies(hey! would ya look at that!)
Alex

I think it would be slightly more problamatic (although not overly apparent) if you get features from each plant (and not a combo from both parents) that go against each other like the hood of a flava and the digestive processes of purpurea. The hood of flava would block the rainwater needed for the digestive process of the purpurea. However, since these don't necessarily need to digest insects to survive it wouldn't be too big of a deal. And as mentioned, you would probably get a mixture of the two anyway to some degree.

xvart.

I think my mom has OCD or some sort of anxiety disorder. So, based on that observation, it might be genetic. Damn.

lol, yeah, I have bad OCD so I often find myself worring about random stuff as well...

...my guess is that since it's a hybrid of so many other digestive-fluid-producing sarrs...it probably produces digestive fluids as well...

I have mild OCD. Not diagnosed by a DR but when I'm like, on the computer I'll take my mouse and go to the top of the screen, then the bottom then each side and do that over and over again, and if I'm watching TV or looking at a wall, not that I stare at walls or anything, I'll do the same thing mentally.

I think it doesn't matter, but maybe half of the offspring would produce half as much. Unless it's TC'd then they'd all be the same.

Purpurea hybrids can all break down and digest prey without rainwater. The production of digestive enzymes is related to dominant genes I think.

well the production of enzymes also could be a codominant gene such as the pinkish and orange flowered Sarrs.
I believe that first in order to find out all of that info you would first need to get a specialized and trained geneticist to look at the parent plant's and the hybrid's geonome

Back