What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Darlingtonia x Sarracenia?

I'm not saying it was primitive because of that (spell check!) I was saying it shouldn't be primitive because of that.

Oh, sorry, I thought it said "Is S. minor primitive." :blush:

I'd assume that it's most primitive because of the fact that the lid and lip aren't very well formed, like say S. leucophylla or S. purpurea. It's just like a little slit.

-Ben

S. minor is not the only one with areoles. S. psittacina does as well.

S. leucophylla has white patches (Well duh) but AFAIK dude to the structure of the trap those aren't considered areoles. There was another name for areoles... I forget what it was and which one we are using these days.

You thinkin of "fenestration", Clint??
That basically means "windows" (and "defenestration" is the act of throwin somebody out of a window, FYI)

That's it! Which are we supposed to say at the moment or are either correct?

Thanks!

Fenestration is the term I've always heard, though I'm no expert. :)

I think "fenestration" refers more to the pattern or overall function of the areas, areoles is more specific to the "organ" (which is NOT what they are either, exactly)

I don't know tho- fenetre (with proper accents which I forget) is French for "window" so maybe it's an eggplant/aubergine type thing, whichever one floats your boat- anyone have any more detail on this?

Back