What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

It's going to die, isn't it?

In my cluelessness, I got a S. purpurea last Fall and neglected to put it into dormancy. It has been growing happily the whole time, but now I'm reading that dormancy is absolutely necessary, or the plant will die. Is there anything I can do to keep it from dying before next Fall, or should I give up?

Just put it in dormancy this next coming winter, and make sure it gets a good long rest and maybe a week longer if you feel like it'll help, haha.

Relax, if it hasn't had dormancy in 3 years I'd start to worry. Grow it outdoors and let it slide into dormancy naturally this fall/winter. If it is ssp purpurea you're in the natural range for these and it should be quite happy outdoors even in the cold.

Actually I found from multiple sources that dormancy is NOT required for purpurea Venosa. That's how they retain pitchers and form gigantic masses of pitchers. I've never tried it, but apparently u can gro it in a terraium all year long. :)

Yeah, don't worry about it. Especially if it was straight from TC from some garden center.

xvart.

The lower hours of daylight should have sent it into some sort of light dormancy even if you didn't give it cold.

Basically. a plant like a Sarracenia needs lotsa light during the growing season and a good few month rest during the winter. So for now, give it lotsa light and keep it wet.

Back